UA-22135472-1

Monday, June 28, 2010

Decorating with Flowers



 Very often I pass a flower market that sells gorgeous orchids and I think about buying myself one...but never have.  I was just gifted with a beautiful orchid this weekend and now that it's in my home I feel like I will always need to have one.  There's something simple and elegant about an orchid that brightens up an area or an entire room.  I will confess that I am terrified of killing this beautiful flower as I have with so many other plants that have made their short way to my care.  I am told they are easy to care for and require only occasional watering.  Hmmm, we'll see about that.  I am going to do a little research and hope to swell with pride that I am able to keep the orchid healthy and blooming.  I will let you know if the lovely flower survives however, if it doesn't you will never hear another word about it...ever!


This newest arrival got me thinking about how often I have fresh flowers around.  My lovely husband will often bring flowers home and when he does there tends to be enough to fill a couple of vases.  I, on the other hand, am more moderate in my purchases.  I lean towards simple flowers like gerbera daisies or tulips and love bouquets with plenty of leaves.  

Now that summer is in swing, look to your garden for fresh flowers rather than the flower shop.  A couple of snips from your garden is enough to create a small posy arrangement that can add just enough colour to a small table or nightstand.  

Flowers are not the only delights you can find in your garden. Look for branches that aren't too heavy and fill a large vase with them.  Whether they have flowers or not, they look stunning and can fill a large space that is crying out for some drama.  

Do you have some ideas on how to create a simple and beautiful arrangement?  Let me know.  I love to hear your ideas.
Photos:  2,3,4 & 6; 5

9 comments:

  1. I love fresh flowers, and you are lucky to have such a good husband! I personally like to go for ones that dry well, like hydrangeas and roses, because then I get to enjoy them fresh, and then dry them and enjoy them forever! XO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love orchids! I just got myself one last month that had two stems and all the flowers on one of the stems just already died on me :( The other looks good though, so I'm keeping my eye on it!! I love random branches and leaves just as much as I love flowers. My daughter and I pick up twigs and leaves that we like when we go out walking and use them to decorate. It's fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the domino image, so gorgeous.

    i'm the two second arranger, i stick to a striaght bunch of one variety, just plop into a vase and leave.

    I used to spend ages doing arrangements, but just dont have the time these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love decorating with flowers and branches! Great post.

    Morgan @ PDB

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so bad ~ I just jam them in a vase and call it a day.
    And sadly I think that is just beautiful and fine! ( :
    OH! I agree ~ L1's and L2's make up the majority of our lives!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post Carol . . . always forget to treat myself and my home to a bit of personality.

    ReplyDelete
  7. agreed! orchids are the most elegant of flowers. I once kept my neighbor's orchids watered while they were away and worried the whole time that I would kill them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's better than fresh flowers? Nothing!! Love this post dear!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I loooooooooooooove fresh flowers!!!! Lovely post!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs