UA-22135472-1

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

My Hour with the Roses

At my suggestion (read: constant nagging) we became a one car family.  Both my husband and I work from home and the kids walk to school.  Seems like one car was just sitting in the driveway and never being used.  It seemed like a practical, economical and just all round good idea.  Well it's not very often that I like to admit to being wrong but this is one of those instances.  Having only one car with two working adults and two extremely busy children, not to mention the busy social lives of all 4 people,  is not a good idea after all.  So while we ponder the acquisition of the next second car, our issues continue to cramp my style.

Today is Wednesday and a very important day in my fitness regime.  While I am active and engaged in some sort of physical fitness 5 or 6 days a week, Wednesday is king in that workout routine.  I take a high intensity spinning class followed by a workout in the gym with a trainer who sees far more potential in me than I see in myself.  I can't miss this class, ever!  

Our dog is suffering from a couple of different doggy ailments and today she needed to be at the vet's office at 11am.  I needed to be in a different part of the city for my class at 11:45 which posed a bit of a riddle for me. An appointment later in the day made taking a cab or bus not a great option.  I decided to get dropped off at the gym 1 hour before my class in order not to miss it.  In an hour at home I can multitask my butt off and get various tasks completed, including but not limited to writing, cleaning, cooking, tiling, organizing, painting or entertaining.  The suggestion of sitting around for an hour is not appealing to me necessarily.  So off I went with book in hand ready to take on that hour.

Did I mention that this same gym is where my son plays the home games for his lacrosse team so I spend 1 or 2 additional days per week here in addition to a Saturday class I take.  All this to say that I spend a whole lot of time at this place each week.  Upon arriving I decided to find an outdoor area to take in the nice day.  During the next 60 minutes an urban oasis was revealed to me.  This concrete building that I knew only from the inside out had another side altogether.  I found a bench tucked away inside a green area of lush vegetation.  I adore David Sedaris and happily sat reading while the minutes flew by.  

Slightly before the class began I started to wander.  Flowers and green everywhere.  When did all this happen?  Surely it wasn't here on Monday when I was here.  Wouldn't I have seen it?  So this is what happens when we're forced to slow down.  I was literally sitting beside a rose bush and while there was not a chance I was going to get up and smell those roses for fear of looking like a walking cliche, there were two toddlers who came running over and one said to the other, "Look, they're roses.  Smell them".  And they did.  No way could a day get better than that.

9 comments:

  1. Carol, how great! Wonderful thoughts and images!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried to be a one car family once...that was three years ago, and we now have two cars again! hahah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I agree, isn't it crazy what you find when you actually stop to slow down? Good for you! Oh, I love David Sedaris, own all his books, have heard him read twice, big fan! XO!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you guys for trying to be a one car family! At least you gave it a shot. Now you know. Your story on smelling the roses reminds me of Georgia O'Keefe's famous quote: “Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time.” Maybe that is why she blew the flowers up for us. So we would have no choice to stop and stare :) Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go you guys! I always thought it would be cool to be a one car family. You are giving us great inspiration1

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful! Have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a good reminder for me as well...today I am going to smell those roses!!!
    thanks for this.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous discovery! Oh and we were a one car family for about two weeks once. It nearly drove me around the bend! (no pun inteneded)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs