Champagne for all my friends. Maybe you have deduced from the title of this post that there has been a victory in my end of the ring. After 2 days, 3 trips to Rona, a bruised ego and a couple of glasses of wine I have made all the cuts I need on the mitre saw and the crown molding has been installed.
I promised to give you a tutorial on how I accomplished this and I will do that in a future post.
Once I made all the necessary cuts I realized that the next hurdle to overcome would be installing the molding to the bookcase. Here's what I came up with.
I purchased 1x2 strips of wood and cut them to create a base on top of the bookcase. This allowa me to sit the molding on top of the bookcase where it would be secure and I wouldn't have to struggle so much to get it in place as opposed to attaching to the sides of the bookcase.
It's important to have the molding sitting right at the edge of the bookcase for a seamless look so here's the quick drawing I did to calculate my cuts.
Attach wooden strips to bookcase with screws and then you're ready to attach the molding. Here's how it looks completed.
I nailed a few nails into the molding with their heads just popping through the back before I got started. Run a line of wood glue along the wooden strips and attach the molding. Hammer the nails in to keep it secure while the glue dries. I will use a bradawl later to countersink the nail heads and then fill it in with a little wood filler. I also ran a line of glue between the seams on the molding and for sure I will have to use some wood filler for the gaps.
I am having a party at my house this weekend so all this junk needs to be cleaned up and bookcase must be 100% complete and moved up to the second floor where it will live happily ever after. Just a little motivation is all I need.