UA-22135472-1

Friday, February 11, 2011

The Almost Complete Dresser and the Saga of the 4" Pull

When I started blogging again this year I told you about the beautiful dresser I found at my local thrift store.  It was in such good shape and it didn't take very long to transform it into our new and much needed storage piece for the front hallway.  It fits the space like a glove and  looks pretty darn sweet.  So why, you ask, is it almost complete and not fully complete?  It's the pulls for the drawers that are causing me grief.  The old ones were too dainty and even after I tried spray painting them in funky, bright colours they still screamed bedroom dresser. This is not a good look in the front hall.

What I know about pulls is that they are sold simultaneously in metric and imperial.  What I did not know is that he standard for imperial is 3" or 5" drill centres while the metric counterpart comes in 96 or 128mm centre.  Guess what these previously drilled holes are?  4" centres!  Had I even thought about it beforehand I would have filled the holes and redrilled but since the dresser is complete there is no way I am starting over with every single drawer.  So this is what our dresser looks like right now.
I have tried all the standard sources for hardware and the pulls that make my heart sing are completely unavailable to me based on the goofy size of mine.  I'll be learning to love ones that currently make my heart say, "meh".  I'm taking a trip to my good old Lee Valley Tools next week to look at this baby in person and see if the heart will flutter just a little.


 These are some of the ones that I will pine over and dream of for my next project.



Have a great weekend.
Carol

9 comments:

  1. Don't you hate that! I had the same problem and had to fill in the holes, sand and re-paint {luckily is was only one drawer} Good luck! I love Lee Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So frustrating!! There is no way you can re-do the whole front. I'm hoping Lee Valley can come through for you, they do after all have EVERYTHING! Once you get something on there it will look great. Have you thought of doing 2 single knobs instead of a pull? It might be a bit much given how many knobs it would be, but maybe you could find something that would look OK. Can't wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this same issue with the nightstands in my master bedroom, it's maddening. This is the first time I've heard a blogger offer any information about this. I thought my only option was to do what you mentioned and fill the holes in and paint. Do you have any ideas for sources that would sell the size I need?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a similar issue with the drawer front of the kitchen cupboards in my last house. I actually had to redrill and refill the holes. Hopefully you'll find something that fits and that gives you more than a 'meh' feeling:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. meh, is never a good response. Sending you an email for a great local source for cabinet hardware.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! I love the dresser! I have the same problem, my kitchen drawer pulls are a wonky size.. seriously you'd think they should be standard!
    So nice to meet you.. good luck at Lee Valley! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol I adore the dresser. It does need very cool pulls to bring it to its finish....

    Last Day...be sure to come and join my Amazing Giveaway from Splenderosa!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean!!! I just did that with that night stand for Miss Emely!!! I decided to change from pulls to knobs. That would be quite a few knobs for you though :( I love the dresser!! You did a beautiful job!!! It's just perfect in that spot ;)
    Have a great Valentines Day!
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really had no idea pulls could be so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs