These letters were bought a bunch of years ago and looked great in the light green and lavender princess bedroom but they are definitely not working here. So this is how I transformed them into jeweled and bedazzled pieces that literally made my daughter squeal and jump.
Supplies needed are:
- primer & paint & brushes
- glitter (I used the extra fine) & a craft paint brush
- stick on jewels
- hairspray...yes, really!
1. I started by giving my letters a quick coat of primer because I was using white paint and didn't want the old colours to show through. No need to cover completely just one simple, slapped on coat does the trick.
2. After the primer dried I applied one coat of white paint to all sides and let it dry. Next I laid the letters on their back and applied a second coat of paint to the top of one letter.
3. My glitter came in a container with a pour spout so I just drew a thick line of glitter down the letter. With a craft paint brush I spread the glitter across the top. Be very gentle if you use a paint brush because if you're rough you can pull the glitter right off and cake your brush.
You can also pick up the letter and tilt it back and forth and sideways to move the glitter around and cover the entire surface. Repeat with all your remaining letters.
4. Once the glitter has set, stand up the letter and let the excess fall away. This is where the hairspray comes in handy. I wanted to make sure that the glitter stayed put so I gave it a quick cover with an aerosol spray.
5. Next I added the stick on jewels and bedazzled letters are complete.
Stay tuned for the remaining bedroom items to make their appearance.