UA-22135472-1

Monday, February 21, 2011

Create a Cake Tray with Thrift Store Items

There are so many fabulous cake trays for sale in the marketplace but the thing I keep finding is that they're larger than what I want.  My friends tend more towards the "cheese and wine" section of the buffet so the "cake" section needs only to be miniature in comparison.  In addition, my kitchen is tiny and I have nowhere to store these lovely tiered displays.

So when a difficult situation arises I solve it by immediately rushing out to the local thrift store and make a cake stand that fits the .  Problem solved!


Here is what we started with:




The original idea was a very light pink flower with a white base but apparently the only pink spray paint on the market is a bright fuschia which is great for lots of other things but not this one.  Yellow to the rescue.  With just a couple of coats of Rustoleum spray paint, the tray is good to go.  
I initially thought I would silicone the top to the base but I kind of like just having two separate pieces that can be put together for parties.  The top actually sits really nicely on the base so it doesn't appear it will fall off but if I find that it does, I'll add the silicone later.









Happy Monday!
Carol

20 comments:

  1. You know what? I like the tray just on it's own as well! This is a really cute idea, perfect for making extra cake stands on special occasions - love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great solution. Your final look would be so pretty for a spring or Easter table setting since the yellow piece resembles a flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I tell you how much I love this. So cute and the color is perfect. Thanks for stopping by and I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always happy to find a fellow thrift designer. There really is the best stuff there and the diy makes it so satisfying. Thanks for stopping by my blog and I'm so looking forward to following along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The yellow is beautiful! Love it and how it makes me think of spring. XX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty solution! Don't you just love digging and creating new stuff! That yellow is so cheery...sooo what I need right now! I had a really messy Monday :( It's all better now!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh this is so cute:) You have the best ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great!! Aside from the gorgeous new stand...those chocolate covered strawberries...and tulips...2 of my absolute favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! What a fun and useful project. Love the yellow too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You should have your own tv show! brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ..and I say happy Tuesday :)) nice pics of Tulips..my favorite flower

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! I can say with absolute certainty that I would not have thought of that. :) Also, those tulips are making me so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! But what I want to know is where did you get your wide striped drapes????

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cool. I Love that you did yellow. Makes the strawberries look even happier :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a great idea! it looks great and I love the yellow :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it....easy but very elegant...Loving your blog, glad I found you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love what you did with the thrift find! It really looks lovely, either way!

    ReplyDelete
  18. very cute & creative! the bright yellow is great!

    -caroline
    http://cwfrosting.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs