UA-22135472-1

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Create a Cork Heart

Valentine's Day is not a holiday that we put too much emphasis on around here but I still love to create one or two crafts leading up to it.  I say it's for the kids but I'll take any excuse to make something.  
I've been looking for a good excuse to use up all these collected corks for a while.  Don't ask me how long it took to acquire all these corks.  Let's just say there have been plenty of fun evenings around here.  
This is a 1 out of 10 in terms of difficulty.  The corks are really easy to work with, they dry quickly and they're fairly light so even a large heart won't be too heavy for hanging.

Gather up all the supplies you'll need including:
- corks
- glue gun and sticks
- thin jewelry wire - I think I used a 20 guage
- beads
- ribbon


Start by drawing a heart that you will use as a guide when you're gluing.  My heart is 16" wide at the widest spot and 15" tall.

Before I started on the gluing I wrapped wire around one cork.  This one goes in the centre at the top of the heart.  The wire loop will provide a place to put a nail through or string some ribbon through for hanging.  I also wired some beads and added that to the centre but if you like it plain, just skip this.


 Using your heart outline as the guide, line up a small group of corks and  start gluing them together one by one.  I kept them standing on the paper as I worked.  The corks are various heights so this will ensure that the back of the completed heart is flat and even.  In the end if you're hanging it on the wall you'll want it to be flat.

Try to vary the colour of the corks as you go along.  Mine are almost exclusively red wine corks and I used the side that would have been inside the bottle.  I really love the various shades of red.  There are a couple that had crystalized and while the photo doesn't show this, it really looks great.  It looks better when you alternate taller and shorter corks.  
Keep gluing, working on both rows at the same time.  The second row adds a lot of stability to the heart so if you decide you only want one row I would consider making a smaller version of  this one.

The entire project was completed in just over an hour and cost me absolutely nothing.  Everything I used was something I already had on hand.  How great is that?

Thanks for stopping by!
Carol




9 comments:

  1. Looks great! Next up, I wanna see you do one with screw caps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's adorable. You just got the wheels in my head churning. I have tons of wine corks just waiting for a project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a neat way to reuse wine corks. My hubby used to have a miniature house made from wine corks by one of his brothers made him. It was so cool! XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. great idea!! I have my corks sitting in a vase, but I love the idea of a cork wreath. Just came across your blog and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty! Great idea for all those corks in my jar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Carol, way to combine three of my favorite things, crafting, hearts and wine!!! Thanks for inviting me over to visit,
    xo
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. CUTE WREATH. LOVE THE IDEA. AND IM FOLLOWING YOU BACK

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome. I love the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs