UA-22135472-1

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Why Designers Sometimes Need Designers

There's a popular expression that states that "A lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client".  Well it appears that this is not only true of lawyers but also of designers.

Remember last week when I told you about my growing list of paint projects including the final touches on a Tiffany blue desk as well as an easel that would be highlighted in the same colour?  Well let's just say that turquoise is the new Tiffany blue.



After walking in and out and past the room with the desk for a couple of weeks I finally had to admit to myself that I did not get the colour right and we were going to need to go back to the drawing board. This desk has already received one coat of primer, two coats of paint, one coat of polyurethane (which I made a mess of) a sanding and another coat of polyurethane.  It makes me feel a bit ill to think about starting it again.


So how did this happen?  After a good education and many years of work experience I should be better than this.  I can absolutely guarantee that if it were my client's room this would not have happened.  I have been forced to admit that I let my heart chose the colour and that would never happen with a client.  So when I really looked at the colour and  the relevant surroundings I realized that Tiffany blue is too green and what I need to do is add more blue.  In the end I reverted to my first love, turquoise.


The new paint has been purchased but I have not yet had the time or the heart to get started painting over my previous work.  As soon as I brought the paint into the room my heart skipped a beat.  That's what happens when you get it just right.


Tell me I'm not alone.  You've done this as well, right???
Carol



9 comments:

  1. it's NEVER happened to me ... hahaha ... of course, except in my case it was my head that I let choose the colour for my built-ins ... I regret it everyday, my heart wanted grey but I worried it would be too cool so I went with warmer "sensible" taupe/grey ... which has left me unsatisfied :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um Yes! (but then I am not a pro lol)
    Thank you so so much for your detailed response on my post today! (tried to find ur e-mail to send you a private note) I dream of a picnic in Paris! Blocking off time for that NOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can so relate! My home would be an even slooooower process/disaster if I didn't have my artist sister (who very well could be a designer if she had wanted) to advise me. Our own homes are the hardest. I can be so direct with clients, but find myself waffling an awful lot in my own home.

    Can't wait to see your finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are definitely not alone. I painted stripes in my dining room about 15 months ago and have despised them for months, yet I don't have it in me to paint again-or know what color to use.

    I suppose it's easier to make decisions in a space where you don't have to live too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?????? I can never get it right for myself......always changing.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, all the time! And that is why they know my name very well at the paint store(i'm always there:-))

    PS. When we visited Paris, the bathroom in the suite was actually bigger than our room at the hotel we stayed(the room was literally a box, but the hotel was a beautiful one, but definitely not as grand as the one i posted)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think everyone--pro or amateur--has made that mistake. I shudder when I look at the colours I have on my walls. My whole design paradigm has shifted in the past 10 years, but my house hasn't caught up!!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad I am not alone! Aak! Thanks for your help with the blue. I have yet to hit BM to grab the colour chip! Still thinking I will paint the mirror black and find a side table to paint the blue for J's room!

    I just need a designer in my life {period!} I am SOOOO indecisive, then nothing gets done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. It's so much easier to decorate for someone else, decorating your own home is a never ending battle! (PS my credenza is turquoise too - great selection :)).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs