UA-22135472-1

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Painted Dresser

It seems like a very long time ago that I first told you about the dresser I was painting for the entranceway in our house.  Until recently there was a glass table sitting there which became a repository for keys, sunglasses, library books to be returned and a myriad of other homeless items.

I've encountered a few problems along the way including  the hunt for 4" handles which the drawers required.  I eventually found some that I loved but the store only had 7 in stock and I needed 9.  It took a couple of weeks but I have finally received the backordered ones.

During a party in our house recently I set down a bouquet of flowers wrapped in cellophane intended to go home with the birthday girl.  By the end of the evening the water had seeped out of the cellophane and left a huge water stain on the top.  Back to the paint cupboard for another coat and more polycrylic.  But at long last, the dresser is complete.



The dresser is a solid wood, 9 drawer dresser that I purchased at a thrift store in great condition so it didn't require any filling or repairing.  After a quick sand and a coat of primer I painted it with 2 coats of Benjamin Moore's Silver Gray .  It was finished off with a coat of Polycrylic to keep it scratch free.  There's a beautiful diamond detail on the 3 middle drawers that was lost when it was wood.  After painting, I used a coloured wax and rubbed it into the edges to highlight the detailing.



Here's what it cost:

Dresser - $40.00
New Hardware - $73.00
Paint - $30.00
Polycrylic, wax and brushes were leftover from previous projects
TOTAL - $143.00

18 comments:

  1. LOVE it! Amazing how the hardware always ends up costing more than the dresser itself!

    Can't wait to see what you do with "my" dresser :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carole, this looks awesome! I have a hard time arranging bureau tops, making them both interesting and accessible!

    Hope your baby had a wonderful birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a difference a little paint can make. I love how it looks. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great and so perfect to hide all the daily bits and bobs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, I am dying over the fabulousness of this dresser! I've been hunting for one of my own for so long and haven't been able to find anything this gorgeous for even three or four times as much. What a score! That diamond detailing is incredible. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comments on my blog....I like it also. I have been searching for a cool dresser like that! Love the detail on the front.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is beautiful, I love what you did with it, the diamond detailing really makes it that much more special, amazing how you could hardly notice it before...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The detail really pops with the lighter color, it's gorg-e-ous! Did you use just the single coat on the top to seal it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's BEAUTIFUL!!! I'll have to try the wax on a project soon! I love how it accentuates the detail!
    I have to tell you I have done the same thing with flowers!! Mine were wrapped in paper too and the paper stuck to the paint! I had to sand and then repaint! It was a mess!
    Hope you have a fabulous weekend!
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. The white really brings out the detail in that cabinet. What a lovely vignette!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it Carol!! It looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What KIND of 'coloured wax'? I'm just starting out re-doing wood furniture and I need specifics!

    Looks amazing, by the way!

    Love your whole blog. I'm a Follower now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous dresser makeover! Love how the detail pops now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great dresser! love the color, the design and even how that dresser had evolved from a simple one to being elegant looking. Awesome makeover, eh.

    Cheers,
    Cathy@surgical instruments

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this design and the color are perfect for my home color I want some of this for my house

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful dresser! I love the color and the diamond detail, perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs