UA-22135472-1

Friday, March 25, 2011

Staining Painted Furniture

I did it!!  I stained the painted/ distressed dresser and it is l-o-v-e.  I can't believe I haven't tried this before.  I am really a modern gal but I have to say that this distressed and stained finish has stolen my heart.


I absolutely loved all the feedback I received from my awesome readers when I asked if I should continue to distress the top.  It was a resounding NO and so I painted over it and I have to say that was a good call!

Here are the goods.  Minwax stain in black, a paintbrush for applying the stain and about 300 white rags for removing the stain.  Wow, that stain absorbs quickly.  


So here are my observations regarding staining that I thought would be worth sharing.

- It is every bit like painting so dress accordingly.  Don't wear white watches, your brand new favourite pair of skinny jeans or a long unwieldy scarf.  I was smart enough to take my watch off after snapping this photo but had to ask my husband for assistance with the scarf 20 minutes after I started.  

- When they say work in small sections because stain dries quickly, I advise you to listen.  It dries damn fast people.

- Unlike paint or primer you do NOT need to cover every square inch.  In fact it is not advisable.  After all, you're just removing it.


- If you're painting over furniture there's no reason to go with the grain as far as I could tell.  Feel free to go around in circles which helped to incorporate the edges that need to be blended.

- The stain does lighten slightly after a few hours, maybe more.  It's only been a few hours and I see a difference so maybe tomorrow it'll be remarkable.

This weekend I'm waxing this baby.  Full reveal next week.  Happy Friday everyone!

12 comments:

  1. Looks great! Do you have the finished product? I would love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! I thought we were gonna get to see it! I'll take all of your advice! I've learned to listen after all of my mistakes! Can't wait to see this! You might inspire me to do the same with my piece.
    Have a great weekend!
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, you are a tease as well. It looks awesome, from what I can see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with that dresser! Looking forward to the results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh, I can't wait! I love "afters".

    (BTW, you are the best accessorized DIY'er-scarf and fabulous watch!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh looking forward to seeing th after! PS Love the watch:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have me on pins and needles, Carol!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that was a great call to stain over it!...I am chomping at the bit to see it....show and tell soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to tackle a project like this someday. Love that you wore gloves. So important!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All this talk of many home bloggers keep pushing me to try this. haha. Maybe one of these days, I'll try to distress my old rocking chair. Is it advisable, eh?

    Cheers,
    Peny@uniform scrub

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there,I enjoy reading through your article post, I wanted to write a little comment to support you and wish you a good continuationAll the best for all your blogging efforts.

    Regard:
    mebel jati
    furniture jepara
    furniture murah
    kursi teras jati
    kursi tamu sofa jati
    gebyok jati
    rak tv jati
    meja makan minimalis
    kursi tamu minimalis
    lemari pakaian jati
    kursi makan jati
    tempat tidur jati

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs