UA-22135472-1

Friday, March 4, 2011

What's in the Workroom?

We went almost a whole week free and clear of paint cans, drop cloths and large furniture pieces hogging up space in our house but I'm happy to report that things are back to "normal" again.  The office area of our main floor is once again populated by 2 large dressers that are now a work in progress. Here's a little peek at what I'm working on this weekend.  

Do you remember when I told you about my recent thrift store shopping?  Of course you do because you're smart.  After reading that post my blog friend Kelle of Kelle Dame blog wrote me an email pointing out that this dresser was the exact match to the night stand she made a couple of months ago.  Since I always adore Kelle's work I rushed over to her blog to remind myself of what this project ended up like and I was amazed that these two pieces are the same but sure enough, they are.

 This is my before.  Isn't the detailing on the drawers spectacular?


Here is Kelle's after project.  Isn't is stunning?  My piece is primed right now but I still don't know what colour to paint it.  The reason for my indecision is that I don't know if I am keeping the piece or selling it.  I just knew that for $40 this solid wood, dove tailed piece needed to come home with me.  I will decide tomorrow whether it stays or goes and then chose a colour based on that decision.

Next up is a dresser for my husband.  He likes the tallboy style and he also likes a very modern aesthetic as opposed to the detailed drawers on the other dresser.  I know it's sinful to paint mid-century furniture but I can assure you that there is no other hope of salvation for this guy.  The top is deeply scratched and there has been a very lame attempt to fill the scratches which has left staining from whatever they were using to fill.  I'm not sure of the colour on this piece either but I do know that it will be treated to a chevron pattern across the drawers.  I should rather say that there will be an attempt made at creating a chevron pattern on the drawers.  I noticed recently they are selling Frog Tape in Home Depot which I believe is a first for Canada.  I am hoping the tape is every bit as great as I've heard and this will make the job easy.  Right?  Super easy!





What's in your workroom or are you taking a break this fine weekend?  Whatever you do, enjoy it!

12 comments:

  1. OOOH!! I really love the dresser too!!! You're gonna make it completely fabulous! I love the other dresser too! It would fabulous in a high gloss white. Super modern! Whatever you decide it will look stunning! Good luck!
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely not keep that dresser. It would take up all that space... and it would be SO much work to redo... You should sell it. To me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a gorgeous dresser - what a steal for $40! Can't wait to see the ending for this story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, now I am sad I didn't buy it. Glad you have it though. I think you should go pink!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the detail on that dresser. If you don't have a place for it I'm sure it will be snatched right up once you paint it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love both of them! This is going to be fun watching what you do with them....."Normal", funny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the mid century modern piece. Are you sure you don't want to have it professionally finished ... ARE YOU SURE! hahahaha ... would look fabo in a charcoal grey too! I'm envious of this hobby of yours! I think that you may need to open a shop soon! just sayin .....

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow two gorgeous pieces. What's the big deal on frog tape? i thought it was just green painters tape?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great pieces. I have half a dozen chairs waiting for makeovers - I'm only one girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Both of those pieces are great!!! I need to start looking harder!

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow you are talented. great job!!
    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spectacular is indeed the perfect word to describe that first drawer. And oh, the other two drawers looks very functional and spacious as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs