UA-22135472-1

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Create a Necklace Holder

I have a thing for necklaces but not dainty little necklaces on teensy chains but chunky ones and long, dangly ones.  That means that keeping them organized is a bit problematic.  I've looked at all the commercial necklace holders but really they're not a solution for chunky necklaces.  So what does a crazy diy'er do when there is nothing available in the marketplace?  Make one, or maybe two.


We've been in our current house over a year now and this is where my necklaces have been hanging until today.  It was like our own little wind chime in the bedroom every time someone came or went.  My husband has been begging me to solve the problem.  

I purchased 2 picture frames from the thrift store and sprayed them black.  Here's a little tip...since this project doesn't require glass, look for frames without. They're much cheaper.

I used 12" x 12" cork sheets and cut them to fit the frame.  You don't need to be neat since they're being covered.

I attached the cork pieces together with electrical tape.  If you're using lightweight fabric you'll have to use clear packing tape.

Lay the fabric face down, lay the cork on top and wrap like a present.  Tape all the edges down and insert back into frame and reattach back.

Add a couple of cute pins to the board and voila, instant jewelry holder to match your decor. Currently my rings and bracelets are well stored but I like this so much I may give them their own frames.




28 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about trying this. Glad to know it isn't too hard. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this idea in a magazine, but much prefer your more stylish version. Very pretty:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. For my trade shows, I use a couple of 2-foot long pieces of 2x2 wood that I painted, and then screwed vintage cabinet knobs on it. I then drill the piece of wood into a wall and VOILĂ€! necklace holders! ;)

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol, I love this! I am also a chunky jewelry lover, and I've been trying to stuff mine in the tiny pockets of a hanging jewelry holder, but I'm thinking of how much prettier they would look all framed out like this! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for showing all the steps, Carol - my daughter wants some of these for her room, maybe I'll let her tackle it! Yours look wonderful - love the polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it. So easy to make, looks great and you know where to find a certain necklace. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're one crafty little chick!! I don't know if I've told you lately, but your blog is one of my all-time faves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great idea and tutorial. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! (and I think I might even be able to do it!) Might try one for my DD's room too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I need something like this. I am always losing my jewelry. It's ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have so many necklaces and this is a wonderful idea. If I jam them in my drawers then I forget what I have !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm quite smitten with your diy - may even attempt it myself. Nice job lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a great step by step and I love the fabric you chose. It looks fantastic (yay for your recent organization kick! i need a bit of that!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a good idea! I think I may try this.
    Thanks for the idea.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too cute! The polka dots are so fun! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. And it is instant art! Great idea. I need to try this for my daughter's room. She too has a chunky necklace collection and her stand keeps toppling over!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this idea. I've tried to buy those cute little trees to hang necklaces on but it always seems to look sloppy. I recently made an inspiration board so now it looks like I'm going to make a jewelry board.

    Thanks for posting.

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that!! I use a tall vase to hold all of my necklaces but this is a more stylish way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. i have to make one right away!!! i love it you are so creative!!! I'm your newest follower... visit my page and follow me at http://aadreamsblog.blogspot.com/

    xoxo,
    ani

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a cute idea! I love the idea of a fun fabric but I have to say the one with the plainer background sets off all of your beautiful jewelry really nicely! I've added this to my "future DIY" ideas - thanks!
    http://bjdhausdesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Holy freakin' BRILLIANCE!!! I have been Hmmm-ing and hawing over something to hold all my jewelry for-eva and you with one fabulous post have solved my dilemma. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So cute and crafty Carol. It's your niche!! I once painted an antique large frame and added cork for a client for her office because she was in love with Cork boards. We all know that regular cork is not appealing!! She loved it.

    Great project.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cute!!! I've seen kind of similar jewelry holders around the blog world, but never with the corkboard + fabric + frame combo-- this is by far my fav version!! Might have to try it : ) Great job, girl! xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this! I'm new to your blog and glad to find you! I'm a follower now! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea Carol!!!! I only have a few necklaces and this would work perfectly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. this is such a cute idea! I love it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Another fabulous project. You did it again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs