UA-22135472-1

Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Pretty Box for Ugly Papers

I hope I'm not alone when I say that papers are taking over my house.  Well, specifically my kitchen.  My kids go to 2 separate schools and each of them is involved in a myriad of different activities.  We have permission forms and artwork and order forms, party invites and even books that I'm going to read just to name a few of the things scattered across the counter.  This is what my pile looks like.  Why, you ask is there a lint remover in the pile?  Because if it's out I'll remember to buy the refills.


I am bound and determined to get a system that works.  I found this disgusting looking box thingy at a thrift store and it looked to be about the right size for file folders which may or may not help to keep me organized.  I forgot to take a before photo but this is it all primed and with a couple of coats of grey paint.  Getting better but not quite there.


I have been seeing this shape floating around blogland for quite a while and am massively in love, although I haven't got the foggiest idea what it's actually called.  I found this free template at Jones Design Company  where this very talented lady painted an entire room using this template as wallpaper.  I'm tired just thinking about that! 

The template was printed, cut, copied onto cardboard and then cut again.  I doesn't look like it's the same on both sides in the photo but I think it turned out to be so.  Then I traced around the template with pencil onto my box.

I just had to paint the lines with my white paint and it would be another happy project behind me. Well, I did start.  But then I had to go to spinning class and then I got extremely  sweaty and needed to take a shower and then eat.  Oh, it's Wednesday and that means Survivor is on and then it was too dark.  Rats, I guess it'll have to wait until Thursday to be completed.

Come by on Friday and you'll see how this ugly box has been transformed and in return will transform my kitchen to a clutter free zone

16 comments:

  1. Wow- that is going to be beautiful!! Cannot wait to see it finished. Paper clutter/mail is a problem here too! Just when I think I'm getting it under control, we get a ton more mail! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that pattern....can't wait to see it finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are such a creative person, you inspiring me a lot to do thing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope it works for you... but at the very least it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see! I'd need one honking big box to hold all the piles over here!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea!! I know this pattern all too well!!!
    I'm bound to find a system too! You're not the only one with papers galore! I hate how I'm bombarded with credit card offers and offers from insurance agents every day! Such a waste of paper!
    Have a great day!
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You mean throwing all our mail in a giant pile and hoping we get around to it someday doesn't qualify as "a system?" :)

    Can't wait to see the finished box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That gives me a great idea for a pink box that I have! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't start reading that book, or it will get put off again... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When in doubt, hide it! I love your solution for a clutter free environment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a clutter free home. There are so many items just waiting for us at Thrift stores aren't there?

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all, don't you hate it when you forget to take before pictures? But wow, the box is looking really great! With something that pretty, how can you not keep the contents looking good. I don't have kids in school yet, but I'm dreading it because as a former teacher, I know exactly what goes home with kids each week. Better start planning now!
    -Camille

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
    ps - thanks for the link to the template, I went immediately there and downloaded it. I am sure I'll come up with a use for it eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bam. That is a great idea! I would need like, oh, SIX of those bad boys to get my crapola under control...what I need is a huge garbage bag...(c:

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic idea! Our minds think alike! I was thinking of using that template to stencil my tray and the kids bathroom walls!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs