UA-22135472-1

Monday, April 18, 2011

Make a Cake Plate

A while ago I showed you a cake plate that I had made from thrifted items but didn't post a tutorial to go along with it.

A friend asked me to tell her what I used so I thought I would turn the instructions into a post.  I hit the thrift store hoping to find something cute and believe it or not, I found exactly the same metal flower that I had originally used.  Tomorrow I'm going to hit the corner store looking for the winning lottery ticket!

Supplies
Candle Stick with a flat top
Plate
Primer (optional)
Spray paint in your desired colour
Spray varathane

Give the plate and candle stick a coat of the spray primer followed by 2 light coats of spray paint.  Remember, light hand.  It's hard to get rid of drips when you're using spray paint.  Let it dry for 24 hours and then give it a coat of polyurethane to seal and protect it.
How easy was that?  


Any household adhesive will work just fine for attaching the pieces together.  This is the brand I own but they'll all do the job.  I actually didn't attach either of mine for a couple of reasons.  I like the look of the plate without the stand so this way I can occasionally chose to go without.  Since space in my kitchen is at a premium I have decided that storing these plates on the wall works best until they are needed

It even serves as a magnet board because it's metal and I can hang all the lovely little notes and drawings that my daughter makes me.

I definitely see this on our Easter table next weekend.



24 comments:

  1. Hey they look great. Shocking we found the same plate! I think they look fantastic on the wall, what a great idea. Did you make those cupcakes????

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute project! thanks for sharing!



    the-bright-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. I have to say that they do look awesome on the wall. Great last minute Easter project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cupcakes look divine! If you made them I'm in awe!! Love how the bowls can be magnet boards on the wall too...! Cool project.

    ReplyDelete
  5. how cute is that!? and really, I'd do just about anything for one of those cupcakes right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very imaginative and sooo cute! Great work Carol!!
    BTW... I'm coming over to your house this Easter for cupcakes ;-)
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, how did you ever think "cake plate" when you saw that flower and a candlestick???
    If a metal flower like that can't be found, I suppose a decorative plate could work just as well?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to hang them on the wall! Perfect magnetic board!!! Great tutorial..I have not ever tried this sortof thing...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this project! Thanks for sharing the tutorial.. they are so perfect for Easter:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the yellow one on the wall!! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun project...thanks for sharing! That's a great idea for the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was so impressed that not only did you make a cake plate but so many more things too - wall decor, magnet board and you still have the metal basket and candle holder - well done! :)
    http://bjdhausdesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. great idea on the wall too! they look happy! and the magnetic thing is genius!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these on the wall with magnets too! How clever! Great tutorial! Hope you're having a great week :)
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute, I can't believe you found the exact same plate at the thrift store. I love how they look on the wall too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Phenominal idea! I love that they can be all kinds of fun and funky colors! And it can double as a magnet board??? Brilliant. (c:

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've had some good thrifting karma. I think a winning lottery ticket is entirely in order. My favorite is their use as a magnetic board. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable!! Do you deliver chocolate covered strawberries??

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks great Carol. Are you sharing the recipe for the cupakes too?

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great project! Will definitely be giving this a try very soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs