UA-22135472-1

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Painted and Silver Leafed Night Stand

My escapades in silver leafing continue.  Today's reveal is this beautiful French Provincial night stand.  I'm afraid to tell you what room this is for because I fear you might start throwing rotten tomatoes at your computer if I don't stop posting about my daughter's room.  I promise, I"m almost finished and then finally it will become obvious that there are indeed other people living in the house.

Here's the before.  If it looks familiar then you've probably been reading hodge:podge.  Barb has the twin to this and did an amazing transformation for her daughter's room (see, I'm not the only one!)


This baby has got some serious style but the orangey high gloss varnish was so outdated.  I love the original handles so along with the top, the handles got a silver leaf treatment.


When I studied design I was told regularly that every room needs black and that if you inspect a room and it looks like something's missing but you're not quite sure what it is, it's most likely black.  That means that I won't be repainting this guy any time soon.  When it doesn't work in this room I can find a new home somewhere else in the house.

The silver leaf is a perfect complement to the black.  It's soft and easy against the strong boldness of the black.  I love the juxtaposition of the dull silver leaf and the high gloss varnish.



Next week Barb and I are going to do a post on our twins.  A sort of "One Table, Two Looks". We'll give you a breakdown of the costs of each transformation as well as the different products and techniques we've used.

30 comments:

  1. Carol this is beautiful! I am amazed, you did such a wonderful job.....I just became a follower of Barb...I am excited to see this post you two will do!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! I'm in love with that lamp too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic Carol! LOVE it. Amazing how one table can look so different!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! I love that lamp also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree black is always a welcome addition to any room. It looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. {Not even close to being sick of hearing about your daughter's room.}

    Love the nightstand! Is it hard to silverleaf intricate hardware like that? I have an ol' craiglist find with beautiful handles that have been painted a flat black, and I've been wondering how to get them silver.

    Those leaded glass windows are gorgeous, BTW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! It's funny, since I started reading blogs I can't pass by a piece of furniture with a bad looking finish without wondering what could be done to update the look. This is a perfect example.

    ReplyDelete
  8. IT's so amazing to see how different all these end tables are coming out!

    Looks glamourous! IS this is your daughters room?

    Jodi
    (The Simply Inspired Home)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't silver leafed in forever...I forgot how easy it really is and what a great impact it can be! Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks SO cool! I really really really need to attempt this. There are so many things lying around my house that could stand to be glammed up a little.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the silver leaf! What a chic little piece! Can't wait to see what you and Barb are up to. On my way to check out her blog :)
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how the black updates the piece!! I'll have to try my hand at silver leaf now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. holy crap, Martha Stewart. You need your own show.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You did a great job - it looks fantastic! I"m really loving the silver leaf top on it... hmm.... what can I silver leaf....? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks amazing...she must love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. bravo! I like the silver black combo.

    I've never dabbled in silver-leafing but I'd sure love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing...I'm gunna say it again: *AMAZING*! I definitely like that you are adding that little bit of black to the room, nice touch! But I'm really in love with that silver/black/sea green combo you've got going with the lamp in the mix! Paradise. (c:

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a transformation, it turned out gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So pretty. Actually, stunning is more the word. Really like the silver leaf. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. In addition to the silver leaf, I am so glad you chose black, which doesn't get enough attention in the furniture painting world. Great choice!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  21. A beautiful result! I look forward to seeing the "1 dresser, 2 ways" post, since I love to buy stuff and then re-invent it over the years with paint, etc. I just found your blog and I love it - signed up today. :)
    http://bjdhausdesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my! It looks amazing! I loved the black color too!
    You have a beautiful blog with many inspiring ideas!
    I am a new follower!
    Check out my blog too..it's about fashion and interiors!!
    Many kisses! :)
    http://whateversuitsu.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. ok, so you know how I said I had a sideboard I was gonna distress like your dresser. I started thinking about it and then realized I should do my bedside table instead. well, guess what she looks like...much like the frenchy piece you've shown above, but already painted creamy and with plenty of natural distress!

    This project looks great, btw! Have a lovely weekend!!

    the-bright-life.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this nightstand!
    I`m your latest follower;)
    Please come and visit my blog, and maybe follow me back;)

    http://pudel-design.blogspot.com/

    Lovely greetings...

    ReplyDelete
  25. This skill seems so intimidating to me! Your work is lovely. Thanks for stopping by Red Hen Home!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how beautiful the silver looks. I see I am not the first one who commented on that lamp. I have been looking for something like that for a while. Was it a flea market find?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, i love how it's turned Out! you really did a Great job on that! well Done on silver transformation! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs