UA-22135472-1

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Silver Leaf Shelf & Mirror

I have a new obsession.  Can you guess what it is?  Yes, it's silver leaf.  It has made a reappearance in my life after quite an absence.


I've been silver leafing away for the last few days and this is the first reveal I have to share. This is my daughter's bedroom and there was a little space to hang a mirror and shelf for the morning primping.  I stole the idea to enhance the frame's appearance by painting a silhouette from Naomi at Design Manifest.  She painted around her mirror in her hallway and it looked so good I had to give it a try!

I picked up this mirror at a thrift store for just under $10.  I am a bad blogger and forgot to take a before photo but it was just a gold frame that needed updating.  As well, I used an old espresso shelf but neither of these was going to be suitable for the junior glam set.  My daughter is not a little kid but she is still a kid so while it needed to be appropriate I didn't want to repaint either item next year.  Silver leaf to the rescue.  It's got just the right amount of wow to impress the little miss and can easily transition when the time comes for a teen room (although I believe that's what she thinks this is!).

The shelf got a coat of lavender paint first because this is one of the prominent colours in the room.  I always like to leave a little colour showing with silver leaf, almost like a distressing (my other current obsession).

The mirror was too ornate for silver leaf so I gave it a coat of lavender spray paint and then a coat of liquid silver leaf.  It doesn't have quite the same effect that you get from the sheets but it's still pretty awesome.

Tomorrow I'll show you the second silver leaf project I've completed.  You know what I always say..."if a little is good then a lot must be that much better".  That's how I'm feeling about silver leaf at the moment.

15 comments:

  1. That looks fantastic, Carol! But what I really like is that you framed out the mirror with a turquoise paint (decal?). It gives it so much more oomph and prevents it from "floating" - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet she feels fabulous in the morning! I plan on doing some lamp bases soon!
    A little secret that my friend taught me...when you don't want to silver leaf and need a cheaper solution, you can use that silver tape that is used on duct work in your house. It molds to all shapes and you'd never guess it's tape!! Much less expensive than the silver leaf! I plan to use it on some hardware soon. My friend did a diamond pattern with the tape on all of her appliances in the kitchen! Crazy huh!?
    Hope you're having a great week!
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great project Carol. Your daughter must be over the moon with what you've done for her! I loved the silver leaf examples from yesterday! "leafing" is a gorgeous application and I love the "dull" glimmer ... Nicely done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you are going to be obsessed with something, then you picked a *phenominal* one to be obsessed with! (c: It looks so great! I'm totally lovin' that mirror and all the detail in the frame! And also digging the way you put Naomi's frame idea to great use! Bravo, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a gorgeous mirror - I have a similar one in bad shape in the basement - maybe silver leafing is what it needs!

    And thanks for stopping by mizdragonfly.blogspot.com - now following back :)

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that the mirror you picked up on our previous jaunt? It looks great! I just LOVE silver leaf! The shelf looks great as well. What a glamourous room, lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Love that you grounded it with the turquoise paint too-so fun and perfect for your daughter's room. Also loving the colours of the polishes too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! I like the blue behind it. Great job. Can't wait to see what else you've done with the silver leaf. Thanks so much for your sweet comments. They mean the world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no way, I need to silver leaf something!! I never new about this, I love it...can't wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish my mom had been into decorating. Lucky girl!!
    LOVE the framed out mirror!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how pretty. I love it. And you are not a bad blogger ..... I love your posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awe thanks for the shout out, girl! Yours looks great too. A totally different twist.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a silverleafed mirror, it is too shiney, how do I dull it

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Anonymous, I would try rubbing a coloured wax on top. You might also try a dark stain or even a dark paint watered down. Just brush it on and wipe it off and I would think the residual would be enough to take away the shine.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs