UA-22135472-1

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Create your own Subway Art - Part 1

Subway art has had a strong presence in the design world lately and I'm a big fan.  There are great etsy shops, like this one, selling destination prints.  

If you're lucky and have deep pockets you can get yourself an original like this one.
We Hear This

I even noticed one at Restoration Hardware recently for a measly $850.


None of these options was exactly what I had in mind.  I wanted something that would speak to the history of our family.  I thought about collecting the names of places that either myself, my husband or our family had lived.  It had to be of significance as opposed to that city where I spent time while I was a runway model, dating as many rich tycoons as there are days of the week.  Okay, that didn't happen.

Off I went in search of a tutorial on how to create the art.  I found that in most cases you clever people are using your Silhouette vinyl cutters.  I don't have one (although Mother's Day is just around the corner and I know a certain someone who hasn't purchased a gift!).  I was going to have to resort to good old fashioned stencils and paint.

I started with a canvas and painted it black.  I then cut a piece of white craft paper exactly the same size and this became my template. 

Using a set of  2", 3" and 4" stencils I started putting the words together like a puzzle in various sizes until I was able to fill the page.  Unfortunately, the pencil is too light to show up on the full length of paper so I'm showing you sections.




This was the template for the art and although it seems ridiculously labourious believe me, it's worth the extra effort.  I erased and erased and erased before I finally managed to find the right combination of sizes that worked.  I don't think you want to be erasing on the canvas.  Starting at the bottom of the canvas I used a 90 degree ruler to get a straight line, taped it off and then started stencilling with a white pencil.


This is the sum total of my efforts so far.  This part is moving along mighty fast compared to the layout.  Next will be the itsty bitsy paint brush and the white paint to fill it all in.  Now if I can just find the time to get it done!

23 comments:

  1. cant wait to see the finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see how this turns out! I'd love something like this in our new "Theatre Room". (yeah fancy TV room)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this will come out looking awesome! You go!
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good. I made one where I cut out letters and modged podged them on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to look great! Sure, it's a lot of work but the results will be SO worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best part is that when you do this yourself you can personalize it to meaningful locations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the rest of the project!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you really put a lot of effort in so far. Hope the results will be exactly what you hope for. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. so crafty! You will have to be uber patient with the paint but I think it will look ah-mazing when it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a nice project, I can't wait to see the outcome. I'm sure its going to look great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. a measly $850... that's funny :) Can't wait to see the finished product! I looks like it's gonna be a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE this idea...not only because it's cheaper but so much more meaningful as you said...can't wait to see the results and when I get all your tips I think I'll have to try it myself. In the meantime I'll work on which locations I'd use...:)

    http://bjdhausdesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I bet it will look great! I agree with Barbara... so much cooler that the names have significance to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay BRILLIANT. I love that you are making it with your own little twist, even with the lettering! I think I've been reticent to do one because I don't have a vinyl cutter either...but this is genius! I might just have to get my little booty to the craft store...(c:

    ReplyDelete
  15. So far, so good! I look forward to seeing how it turns out. I love the idea of DIY subway art... it's so much more personal that way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's a great idea! So excited to see the final piece!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blog is always good for a laugh! (Speaking about the runway model comment.) Anyway, I love the idea of using personal names and places. That is just SO awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooh, it's looking good!I like the size variation... may have to try one of these, you guys are doing them so beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It looks amazing so far ...you are very smart!...can't wait for the reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome...I love what you are doing....lot of work though :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is a great idea and you did a good and detailed job

    ReplyDelete
  22. This turned out so beautiful! I'm actually creating something just like this now but by having a 'photo' printed on canvas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs