UA-22135472-1

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Living Room Inspiration

Look up, way up.  Do you see it?  It's my new logo.  Do you love it?  My good friend Jane is a super talented graphic designer and she created it for me.  I have been an outstandingly picky client and I'm sure she wanted to dump me a few times as we went along.  I couldn't be happier...thank Jane xo.  There's more to come but I couldn't wait to add this to my blog.

I've been on the lookout for a while for that one thing that will be the inspiration for redecorating my living room.  I knew I wanted something bold and bright but wasn't sure what I was looking for.  I've been tossing around colour combinations but until I find that one thing, I'm stuck in neutral.

I was at Michael's on Saturday and this piece of scrapbook paper started screaming my name. Done, done and done.  My plan is to purchase a very large canvas, like super duper large, and paint the pattern onto the canvas.  That will be hung over the fireplace.

I ordered some fabric samples a week ago and they arrived today.  These were samples I was hoping would provide some jumping off point for me.  Aren't they fabulous?  I'm loving all three but the one on the left may be a bit too citron as opposed to yellow. 

The thing I realized instantly is that this fabric has a very similar feel to the scrapbook paper in its shape and movement.  Although the fabric is definitely adding a couple of extra colours they have so much in common that it affirms for me that I'm heading in the right direction.

The best part about painting my own canvas is that I can adjust the colours so they are consistent.  I may need to change the lighter orange to a yellow.

I also ordered samples of fabrics for my daughter's bedroom.  Again with the paisley.  I'm either very boring, very predictable or very consistent in the patterns I gravitate towards.

This is what I've decided on.

I have to place the order for fabric since it's not a local fabric store and I"m hoping they will be here next week.  I'm going to blow the dust off the sewing machine 'cause the old gal is going to be my date for many nights in the near future.

Update - Since writing this post a couple of hours ago I have been online obsessing over various fabrics and I came across an etsy seller who was selling an Alexander Henry fabric that I love. So naturally I bought it but now it's thrown a wrench in my plans.  My husband is away this week and I fear that when he gets home at the end of the week I'll have purchased hundreds of yards of fabrics.  Somebody needs to stop me!!!

Here's a peak at Koto...



34 comments:

  1. Seriously....I am thinking we are living life in sinc....I am working on my front room and we both seem to have an asian theme going in some way...I can't stop purchasing fabric and I have found some great downloadable prints for free...love the last fabric!

    www.sostinkingcute.blogspot.com

    I am in the process of finishing mine and will reveal soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The logo looks great!

    You have to tell me what that fabric is in the third photo! I think I might be in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you're going to be b-u-s-y. I cannot wait to see that canvas after you finish painting it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...I bet the canvas is going to be gorgeous! Can't wait to see it all finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, you read my 'fabric madness' post yesterday so you know I can RELATE! You'll pull it all together. Love those chinoiserie patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun projects. We are both on the same page. We should have a sewing party as I am doing the same from tomorrow on {worked yesterday and today} LOVE those fabrics.BUT I am the last person to help you resist buying more - I have a tendency to "collect" fabric!

    Love the logo, especially the DIY part!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Koto! Such a great find.

    Work of of that. (Sorry if that messes up everything...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun! I'm a fabric shopaholic and spend more than a few evenings cruising Etsy for lovely fabrics. I'm having a bit of a withdrawal right about now as my sewing machine is on the slow boat to Dubai so it will be a couple of months before I can work on anything. Luckily I can see what you're up to to feed my craving xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I saw your first picture I thought it was a rug... and I wanted it!!! LOL. Darn.
    I'd never heard of Koto before, they are very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the fabrics! I just ordered a couple samples myself for some kitchen chairs and I always find myself ordering samples all the time because i love fabric so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the new logo! Your fabric choices are all so fun! Can't wait to see it all come together. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo hoo!!! Can't wait to see what you come up with. Love your choices for the living room!! The canvas idea is brilliant--might just have to totally COPY you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous picks. I loove fabrics! Can't wait to see what you do with the canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girrrl I know!! Fabric is my drug of choice! That chevron is super and I love the koto too!! The colors are really cheery! Your logo is super fresh! Can't wait to see the rest!
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the new look. So simple and classy.

    Have fun with the sewing projects! You're right, there are some amazing srapbook papers out there to motivate and inspire us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabric is so fun! I recently ordered some of the Robert Allen one that you think might be too citron...I love the pattern! And I am also guilty of changing my mind in a way that throws a wrench into my plans. :) I'm sure whatever you decide will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol, you always make me smile :) The fabrics are gorgeous - x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gosh I love them all, but my absolute favorite is the floral-y pattern with the the peacock blue. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love them all!! And now I want to go fabric shopping...I'm going to blame you when the husband asks why I have more fabric. :P

    ReplyDelete
  20. first off, love the new look. Second of all, I used the koto fabric as a curtain in our laundry room. I already had orange and blue in my design and I just need a fabric to pull it all together, and BAM! I wasn't envisioning anything like it, but it pretty much picked me and I love it. You can see what we did with it here:
    http://halfkitchen.blogspot.com/2011/01/and-i-think-were-done-almost.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. You sound like one busy-productive bee! I love the combo of fabrics for your daughters room and I can't wait to see your canvas painting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the giggle. I love the pink paisley and can't wait to see your project done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love all of those fabrics (and the scrapbook paper)! The idea of painting it on a canvas is genius! Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    And I'm loving your header!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Someone said Fabric is my drug of choice and I had to laugh out loud! I have the same addiction - there are endless possibilites! I love the combinations you chose!

    http://bjdhausdesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the new logo, my dear, it is perfect! And I'm so excited to see how that canvas turns out...the inspiration is just so awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love all your choices of fabric, but I think my favorite is Koto… What ever you choose will be great, I can't wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh! I feel your pain. I have ADHD when it comes to choosing fabrics. How can you choose only a few when you love so many???

    In any case, you've made some great selections. Can you use Koto in another room in your house?

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have a thing fro fabrics and have to try to not get carried away. The koto is indeed beautiful, but so are the others too. Decisions, decisions... XX

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gorgeous fabrics! The canvas art you're going to do will be beautiful!! And I also tend to gravitate toward the same prints, sometimes. You like what you like! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. That paper is amazing! I have the same yellow Dwell studio swatches framed as temporary art in my living room, and am about to paint my own canvas. However, I'm copying a rug by Serena and Lily and going to need lots of tape to keep from butchering it :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love all the beautiful and vibrant patterns! You chose well!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love ALL of these fabrics. I love that you are using the scrap book paper as a jumping off point to paint your OWN design. Yay!! Great combos!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You have great taste. I love the prints.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs