UA-22135472-1

Monday, May 2, 2011

Reinvent an Old Vase

Vases are a dime a dozen so if I get tired of one I often donate it but on occasion I find one whose shape and/or size is so unique that I have to hold on to it.  So what to do when the colour isn't working anymore?  Well you paint it and silver leaf it of course.

I had this brown vase that worked really well in our last home but has never really found a place in this home.  It's a unique shape and I think it can fill in an empty space when something oversized is necessary.  Here is the colour before with a teensy bit of spray paint applied.  Yes, I forgot again to photograph before starting the project!

I gave it a couple of coats of blue spray paint.  It looked good but I thought it looked too shiny and it was kind of hard to deal with that amount of bright blue.

So I pulled out the stain.  I applied a coat and immediately wiped it off.  It still has the colour but the black helped to tone down both the colour and the shine.



Nex I pulled out my trusty silver leaf.  Check here for instructions on how to apply silver leaf.  I wanted something that felt completely organic and rough so I just tore the leaf and applied it to the top and botton.  As I was smoothing out the top I noticed that little flakes were falling and I loved the way it looked so I added more until I was happy.


 The best part is I have 2 new vases because I can turn it around when I want a simpler look.



 Hope you have a happy Monday!  I personally hate Mondays but I will try to endure with a smile on my face:)

22 comments:

  1. Love the blue!
    Nice job;)
    Lovely greetings...

    http://pudel-design.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, particularly the first image...like it has seen a long life and has wonderful character. Janell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the blue/silver leaf combo!!

    Thanks for the mention on Friday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Genius idea giving yourself two vases in one!! I still want to silver leaf something!!
    Happy Monday!
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea Carol! Looks great! Love how sliver leaf instantly glams things up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very creative--feels a bit like some of the abstract water-colorish pillow patterns that are out in the world. Also makes me think of artist Yves Klein--that BLUE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea - I have a few old vases that could use a new skin!

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love silver leafing.. I've never used it before.. this looks fantastic though so I may have to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the fact that you have two vases in one. The silver leaf makes it super fancy. Was it hard to apply the silver leaf and work with?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it! Wanna try something similar with some lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a great idea! These vases look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh you're crafty!!

    Thank you so much for your sweet comments today! I was starting to get so bummed bc I posted that on Friday (my first mistake) and nobody had said a thing about it. I was beginning to think it was retched and only I thought it looked pretty!
    So, again, thank you!!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, mondays are icky (can you tell I have small children at home???)...but your vase is fabulous! I love the blue and silver together! And you are right, the shape of that vase is so great! Happy Monday...well, as happy as they can be, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Unique happening vase makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is awesome! It looks like an amazing work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the blue! So pretty! And I love how you have 2 looks, now. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks amazing! by the way - you have been on quite the project rampage lately. Keep them coming!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is some serious goodness!!!! I'm so psyched to have found your blog. I look forward to following!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs