UA-22135472-1

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Chair Makeover

I'm a procrastinator by nature but thankfully this blog gives me a little push in the butt to get all my projects completed.  You probably thought I had put that cane back chair in the garbage since I've neglected to mention it in the last couple of months.  Well here she is all shiny and new.


I hadn't intended to remove the caning but when I took off the pillow back I noticed that the previous owner had cut the caning in 5 spots to add the buttons.


It also became apparent that with only the slightest amount of pressure applied that the caning was ready to pop out of the frame.  Well at least this part.  The rest of it took some herculean strength, pliers, scissors and a hammer...did I mention a large glass of pinot noir?

Finally I had it stripped to the bare bones.

The chair got a coat of spray primer and a couple of light coats of glossy blue spray paint.


I added a layer of drapery lining on top of the springs.  Why drapery lining?  Because that is what I had and really all I wanted to do was to stop the foam from drooping so really anything could work.  Staple, staple, staple.

Next the foam was cut to shape.

A layer of batting on top of that.  I stapled this to the frame of the chair underneath the foam.

The fabric was turned face down and stapled to the frame at the front and then flipped right side up and to the back.  This is where the magic happened.  I just turned all the raw edges under and stapled the fabric to the frame.  

I haven't yet decided whether I want to give the chair some piping but for the meantime I'll say I'm finished.


32 comments:

  1. I love it without the cane - to my surprise. But you can see the wonderful shape of the chair better without it. And your fabric choice is inspired - it works beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so fantastic!!!! I absolutely love it. What fabric is that that you chose? And a great tutorial - I'm going to have to try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by. Think you've done a fantastic job - how clever!!! Love anything painted bright blue and always looks fab outdoors...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fantastic! Great tutorial of your method! I have a similar chair, but he's def going to the upholsterer! I don't trust myself!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing makeover! Love the color!! So bright and fun. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous makevoer! I actually like it without the caning - it makes it look so modern and fresh. And great colour choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have that same chair with different ugly fabric...I was worried about how to do the back reupholstery, so maybe I'll just follow your lead and get rid of it all together! It looks fabulous--love the blue! Is it still comfortable to lean on?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks really cool without the caning! I love the blue colour you chose. I have a sample of that same fabric, I love it just have no idea what I'm going to do with it yet!

    Great job on the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cane chairs are the devil to refinish...but look so darn pretty when they are done! Love your color choice!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the transformation! Your chair looks so fresh and modern now. Adore the blue and clean lines. Where are you planning to put it?

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet! Now it
    has an amazing new
    life....I would never
    have thought of removing
    the cane, but it most
    definitely gives it a
    fresh, updated look!
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute. I love seeing projects like this! Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a little heartbroken for your damaged cane - or at least I WAS, until I saw how great it looks without it. A large glass of wine should be a mandatory ingredient in all DIY projects. LOVE the color you painted it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhh just love it! I like the shade of blue. So glad you had your friend Pinot Noir to help - always a good thing to have a friend like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great looking chair and love the fabric!.....
    Ingenious doing the front that way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just redid a chair similar to this but the caning was in perfect condition. Hope to post it soon - it turned out great like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carol, I love this transformation and better so withought the cane, somehow it makes it more unique!!

    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    Come and join my fashionable Giveaway from The Shabby Apple!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like it without caning. Love the colour and the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOWOWOWOW! Great job Carol!

    http://bjdhausdesign.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. So CUTE! I like the shape! without the cane! who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  21. She's a knockout! The chair looks a lot better without the caning FABULOUS!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Think I just found my weekend project, thank you for sharing, you did an amazing job!
    -Jessica & Holly
    Etsy.com/shop/chezjolly

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the fabric you chose. Great project indeed! Is it going outdoors?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Way to tackle that yourself! :) It turned out lovely!
    I posted some before and after pieces last thursday you may like.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks great! Another chair saved from oblivion! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love what you have done here it looks beautiful & the colour is gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks great, Carol! You're pro and I think the chair looks fantastic without the caning - more clean and simple.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow - great job! I love that you chose blue and the fabric is perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, you are good Carol. I love what you did with it despite the hidden surprises... the color, the fabric works perfectly together!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs