UA-22135472-1

Monday, June 6, 2011

Make a Simple Pillow - No Zippers!

Last week I alluded to my failed attempt at a faux roman blind.  The reason for my failure was due to the fabric selection.  I learned a big lesson...fabric weight matters.  I chose a lightweight fabric that just couldn't hold the folds of the roman blind.  It kept drooping so in the end my roman blind was out and 2 new pillows grace my sofa while I await the arrival of a new fabric for the blind.


Measure your pillow form from seam to seam.

For the front, use the pillow measurements and add 1 inch to each side for a seam allowance. My fabric was easy to work with because it's geometric but if necessary, use a square to make sure all your lines are straight.


The back is a flap that requires 2 separate pieces, one slightly longer than the other.  Based on the size of your form, calculate so that there is enough to overlap and add 1 inch to each side for a seam.  Here are my measurements for a 17" form.  The front measured 19 x 19 and the back pieces were 19 x 11 and 19 x 12.


The overlapping pieces on the back will require a hem.  Fold 1/2", iron and fold another 1/2" and sew.

 Lay the right sides together with the back pieces stacked.  Pin together.

Sew pieces together and then trim close to the seam.  Clearly there are no extra points for neatness.











22 comments:

  1. Absolutely love the pillows. They look gorgeous! Great job and tutorial. I am going for my first sewing lesson this week and will be using your guide. Can't wait. Where did you find those gorgeous fabrics by the way? Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the fabric choices!! And I'm making a mental note on the weight of the fabric for the roman shade. It's on my to-do list..hopefully I don't forget!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabric! I have a few pillows to could use this nice restoration project.

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pillows are gorgeous! Love the fabric choices, and terrific tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's exactly how I make pillow cases (minus the points for neatness and all)! The fabric looks great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the tutorial. You don't know how much this helps me :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, you didn't mention you posted about the pillows at lunch today! They are great. I just order the Ikat type fabric this morning, cause you know, I am a sucker for black and white! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh i love them, the prints are FAB! I keep telling myself that I should make my own pillows, adding the zipper is one reason why I couldn't be bothered...I think I can do this! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol! Thank you for the tutorial!! I'm saving this to refer back to. My neighbor lent me her sewing machine, and I am terrified of the thing (ok and lazy) but I'd love to be able to do something like this with it! No zippers for me. Loving the b/w prints you chose. No harm in new pillow covers...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your pillows look great! Thanks for such an easy to follow tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pillows! Now if only I could figure out this "sewing" concept you speak of...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job...think of all the pillow possibilities. Good for me since I always like to switch things up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful job! I can barely sew on a button, so I won't be attempting roman blinds...but I LOVE THEM so your trip about the weight of the fabric is helpful if/when I fall in love with some fabric with that in mind. the pillows are great - I love those two patterns together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these fabrics!! You did a great job! You even lined up the houndstooth!! You go gurl! Thanks for such a great tutorial :)
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I learned how to put in a zipper when I took sewing lessons years ago, but mastering the art of it is another story. Great alternative and I love me a black and white anything-especially when it's a houndstooth pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your fabric choice Carol! Great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just might get up the courage to try this...you made it look so easy! For some odd reason, I have this strange fear of using my sewing machine. Weird, I know. (c:

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the tutorial! Maybe I'll get the courage to sew one of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your fabric selections, great looking pillows!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carol!!! You are a genius...I LOVE the roman blinds. Also love each one of the cushions! You are so creative...rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I saved this! Will probably try it next.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is amazing! I love everything, including the yellow pillows in the most recent post. the step by step in this is fantastic, and gives me faith that a non-sewer like me could actually accomplish this. I am shocked that the pillows look so good with no zippers. very movitvational start to my weekend! have a good one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs