UA-22135472-1

Monday, June 20, 2011

The Vancouver Chronicles - Gastown

I know, I know.  It's been a while and I know you're sitting at the edge of your seat waiting for the next edition of The Vancouver Chronicles.  So here we go...

Gastown is the spot where Vancouver originated so it is steeped in history and has some amazing Victorian architecture.  It has one of the oldest commercial strips and stunning cobble streets.  

Today Gastown is one of the hippest spots with some hot home decor shops, amazing bars and restaurants popping up every day.



The most visited sight in Gastown is the steam clock.  It happens to be a reproduction (shhh!) but every 15 minutes it sets off chimes on 5 brass steam whistles.


Gastown is also where the cruise ships dock when they're either departing from or visiting Vancouver.

You can also grab the seabus if you're heading to the North Shore.



This is still an area that is undergoing some gentrification so there's a seedy side to it as well so be sure to walk with your eyes ahead but you'll have a great day in Gastown.

18 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Love the clock..even if it is a replica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gastown is my fav part of Vancouver - would love to own a loft in one of the old buldings!

    K.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty city. I've never been there. Thanks for the gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to go to Vancouver now and visit Gastown and hang out with you Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember as a little girl my Grandma taking me to Gastown... later as a teen there was a Bootlegger there where I'd go to get my jeans, and one of my first boyfriends - Trevor Williamson - took me to the Spaghetti Factory for a date. I remember he ordered a beer and they didn't card him!! :-) That was a looonnngg time ago!! To this day I love to wander through its shops. I've always loved Gastown!!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for introducing this lovely city. I have never been there and would love to visit one day. And the steam clock looks so charming, love it!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these photos. Love Vancouver ;) I spent a week there last summer and absolutely fell in love with the city!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a beautiful place, that first photo, I need to be there... so lucky you live there and can wander about as you please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post makes me want to plan a trip! What a cool spot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so charming...it looks like the perfect place to take in the sights and some fab home shopping...apparently, Canada really needs to go to the top of my "must visit" destinations...(c:

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a beautiful city! That image of the ship with the sails is just gorgeous!! I think I live in the wrong city!
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pics! I've only been to Vancouver once. It was a stop on an Alaskan Cruise that we had taken. I remember it being a beautiful city with way to much to see on a one day shore excursion. We'll have to go back someday. Thanks for sharing this tour.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't keep up with the amount of cool restaurants to go to.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photos, you make me want to visit! I have never been to Canada, but it is on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. my very favourite part of vancouver .. excellent post Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, I miss Van. Thanks for the visit...x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post!! As i was looking at these pics, I say to my husband: doesn't this look exactly like a restaurant we went to in Vancouver a few years ago? Sure enough, we've been to the Water St. Club and your photo 100% reminds me of when we were there! I remember it being delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have only passed through Vancouver on my way to Whistler and have always wanted to spend more time there. I also have a former Chicago client who landed in Vancouver, so truly I need to make it happen! Looking forward to checking out your other posts on your fair city! Thanks for stopping by Room Rx and becoming a follower!

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs