UA-22135472-1

Friday, June 3, 2011

You Can't Always Rely on a Mother's Advice

Warning - This post has absolutely nothing to do with design but it's a darn good story.

Did you mother ever tell you not to pick up hitchhikers?  It's for your own good.  They could be murderers or rapists or drug addicts.

Yesterday in Vancouver, mere minutes from my house something happened that will make you think twice when you see someone thumbing a ride.  Bono, as in leadman for U2 was leaving the West Vancouver Yacht Club when he, along with his assistant, got caught in a rainstorm.  Too much rain for walking so he stuck out his thumb looking for shelter and a ride.


Along came a couple driving to take their dogs for a walk.  They offered the pair a ride (huh?  No advice from mom about this?).  It turned out that Bono wasn't the only celebrity in the car.  The driver was NHL hockey player Gilbert Brule who plays for the Edmonton Oilers but lives in West Van.  

Bono was so appreciative of the ride that he gave Brule and his girlfriend tickets to U2's Wednesday night's sold out performance at the Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton.  They also received backstage passes that were signed by Bono and said, "Thanks for the ride" and "My hero Gilbert".  

Wednesday night was also game 1 in the Stanley Cup finals in which Vancouver Canucks are taking on the Boston Bruins (go Canucks!).  Brule had a ticket to the opener which he had to sell.  Tickets for the game were going for anywhere between $600-$3,500.  

See, sometimes good guys do come out on top.  To the tune of a couple of grand in pocket.  Fun story, huh?

17 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, that story was on the news last night - how cool is that eh? What are the chances...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that story on the news last night. So cool! Looking forward to the game on Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Craziness!! I would just die! Bono would just get right back outta my car due to all the screaming! I will think twice now....Thanks for sharing!
    Kelle
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very fun story! What are the odds? What luck the couple had!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That story is bananas! We were just talking about hitchhiking(both hitching & picking up hitchhikers) while around the campfire. The responses ranged from, "Oh, heck no" to "I picked up a girl in a rainstorm" to "I've done it lots." My answer was of the absolutely not variety, but I'll have to amend that to "Absolutely not unless Bono is on the side of the road." Great story! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would pick up the first guy in the picture anytime....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy crap. I wouldn't know what to do if I had Bono within earshot, let alone in my car!! I'd probably just say something dumb.

    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd die if I pulled over to pick someone up and it turned out to Bono! He's my absolute favorite. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I heard this story at work today, crazy huh? Can you imagine seeing Bono on the side of the road??? Hope you have a great weekend Carol!
    Nancy xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too funny. I guess the hockey player figured he could take out the hitchhiker if things got sketchy...and look how great it turned out! Would love to get your advice on a design dilemma I'm having if you have time to stop by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. With my luck I'd pick up a Bono lookalike/serial killer. That is a great story though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I heard that! Can you imagine if you picked up Bono? I don't even think I would be able to drive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A pretty good story, if you ask me. It's like Christmas and they exchanged gifts lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. Call me crazy, but I *so* thought that the couple in that story would be *YOU*!!! hehehe! Now *that* would've been crazy (c: But seriously, doesn't Bono have a cell phone??? (c:

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is too crazy!! I can't imagine picking up Bono on the side of the road! Did you know we were neighbours with The Edge in Ireland? Bono lived just further up the road. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs