UA-22135472-1

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Art Lessons from a 10-year-old

Yesterday I took my daughter to Micheal's so we could get our craft on.  Together we decided it would be the most fun to create an acrylic painting on canvas.  You may remember my big aspirations to create a canvas based on a beautiful piece of scrapbook paper I found.  If not, you can read 'til your hearts content here.

So we each got our supplies and while I painted the grey background colour Livi started sketching her picture.



Umm, is it just me or is she a teensy bit ahead of me?  Let's just say the evening of craft and merriment ended quite a bit sooner than I expected.  Livi finished her complete art project as I sat and waited for the grey paint to dry.

Fast forward to today.  Here is 10-year-old child's art project.


Here is significantly older mother's grey canvas.  What you can't see is that I have sketched the pattern very lightly onto 1/4 of the canvas.  This took one hour and coincided with the realization that this was going to have to go into the Never-To-Be-Completed file.  The amount of detail in this piece is staggering and while I think I could draw it with pencils I don't think I could draw and then paint this on canvas in a way that would warrant the trillions of hours required.  

Lessons Learned

* Just because something looks pretty does not mean we should try to replicate it.


* Kids don't spend hours obsessing over the right colour, the right canvas or the right paint.  They get out their supplies and they do it.  I need to be more like a kid sometimes.


* If you're planning on doing something with a kid you better pay attention and get it done.  Otherwise you'll eat dust as they leave you behind.

22 comments:

  1. I love your lessons learned #2 - so true. I need to keep that one in mind - just do it and be like a kid. I think I have that piece of scrapbook paper as well - it's so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Love this post. Side note: your daughter's room is adorable. Love C.S. Lewis books ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny!! Your girl is talented! (Your gray canvas is VERY pretty too. ;)) Maybe this is why my younger brother is artistic..he just does it instead of stressing over it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And the moral of the story is always stay young at heart. This post reminded me of an article I read once about an artist who had a backyard party and left an easel and paints out for guests asking each one to paint a single flower on the canvas she provided. With the atmosphere upbeat and the cocktails flowing guests were uninhibited. The result was a gorgeous, colorful piece of art that she hung in her home. (I've always meant to try that.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to be more free spirited like my kid too! All of these lessons certainly apply to me as well...when will I learn?? Next time I'm about to start something ridiculous I'll just ask my 2.5 year old what she thinks. She'll give it to me straight! Loved this honest and funny post!
    Kelle
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, I love this post!! Her artwork turned out fabulous!! But I alsi can't wait to see how yours turns out as well :) Love the advice you shared!
    Nancy xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post! It is sooo true, kids can teach us a lot in this sense, they are so unrestricted creatively. my neices fascinate me when they paint...your daughter is very talented :) I'm sure mom is too, maybe use the scrapbook paper as a jump off point for colors and shapes and create a more abstract version? I bet you will do something amazing! I sometimes do a quick mini version first to see how it will feel...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bet if you put your gray canvas in a fancy art gallery and said it was a work by a famous artist, someone would pay LOADS of cash for it.

    Your daughter's painting is AWESOME. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter is so talented for her young age. She is an inspiration. I wish I could draw as well as she can!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Completely agree with you! Adults spend way too much time fussing over details instead of jumping in with both feet. Can I just say how beautiful that piece of scrapbook paper is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you're right, kids don't sweat the small stuff! wish i could be more like that! love, love how her art project turned out! happy weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's hilarious! Your daughter's painting is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I see the apple didn't fall far from the tree, like mother like daughter ... very talented!
    a couple of suggestions for you .... a) take a segment of the fabulous art on that paper and blow it up ... b) trace onto mylar and then get a projector? I'd go with a) but I'm a lazy artist ... :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love your daughter's art. And while I have yet to be left in the dust by my two, I can say I recently had my own lesson learned.

    So, why no repaint the canvas and sketch out a small section of the paper in large scale In effect, blow it up?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful! Carol you should check out my giveaway, it is art from my daughter's easy shop - http://hodgepodge-babselou.blogspot.com/2011/08/giveaway-original-painting-from-blue.html

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  16. Followed you here from Centsational Girl this morning. And I am adding you to my Google feed because your blog is just plain fun. Love it! I caught the Marc Chagall book in an earlier post as I was scrolling through. We live in Chicago and we just saw Chagall's Four Seasons at the Chase building in the city. It was a feast I tell ya. So much to see.

    I'll be checking in. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like you have a budding artist on your hands. Livi, your painting is beautiful. Love the Lessons Learned. I've tried too many times to replicate things. Heather

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the laugh Carol! I loved this post just because of your simple story and honest truth. BTW I'm still trying to decide what my subject is for my subway are ..... we've only lived in 2 houses together. Any ideas for me?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Too funny! You think your daughter was quick - you should see the speed that one of my boys can blow through a craft project. I'm almost always left working on mine by myself. Love your lessons learned. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just picked this paper to line the drawers of my white tables! It is such a great print. I would buy a few more pieces of this and decoupage it onto the canvas and then add some of the detail in paint. I bet you'll make it look fab-u-lous! Thanks for the kind words BTW!
    Kim@reposhture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs