UA-22135472-1

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Make a Ruffled Table Skirt

I have always been a big fan of clean, open storage but I continue to resign myself to the fact that those days are gone.  My daughter has a doll house that sits on a cute marble table with chrome legs.  The idea was that all the accessories would be stored under the table in a cute box.  This area also became home to items to be donated, books she's currently reading and more than one family of dust bunnies.  Time to get the sewing machine out and deal with this problem asap.

I had already purchased the blue fabric with the intention of doing one long ruffled skirt.  That is until I spied this project that super diy'er Anne at House of Newman's had created for her daughter.  I was more than happy to use up more scraps of fabric as they seem to be multiplying and taking over my laundry room!

HOW TO:
Measure your table to determine the total perimeter.  The width of each piece of fabric is 2x that total perimeter.  Determine the length of each piece based on the height of the table allowing for hem allowances.  Hem the top and bottom of each piece.

Set your sewing machine to the highest setting for thread width.  There's probably a technical term but it's sure not part of my vocabulary.  Sew another line across the top of each piece of fabric on this setting.

Once you're finished, separate the pieces of thread.   One of them is set and can't be moved but the other will allow the fabric to be pushed along creating a ruffle.

Be careful when you're pushing because you can break the thread.

Using muslin or other light weight fabric, create a base for the ruffles to be attached to.  Starting with the bottom ruffle, pin it to your base.

Sew ruffle to base and continue with each layer.

I used velcro tape to attache the skirt to the table.  I prefer velco with the sticky back to save time in sewing it to the fabric.  And there you have a cute little skirt that will hide a myriad of mess and confusion.




20 comments:

  1. Love the stripes and dots fabric choices!! Very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I love any idea that hides a mess.
    btw: I'm in love with your painted striped curtains! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out so cute! I love the stripes + polka dots.

    If these things hide dust bunnies, I need one giant ruffled skirt to wrap around my entire house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love one of these for using on a table for parties. Make it once and you'd never need to buy one of those cheapie plastic tablecloths again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute, you are so talented Carol. I love the combination of stripes and polka dots you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, look at you go! Every little girl loves ruffles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! This would work great as a bed skirt that hides storage too! You're giving me ideas!! This looks super cute!
    Kelle
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is adorable - I really need to buy a machine so I can start learning to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh too cute - what a great idea. I totally agree, I got rid of open shelving a couple of years ago - I was constantly tidying up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such an adorable project! Love the stripes and polka dots! You are so talented, Carol.

    P/S: By the way, I am hosting a fab giveaway. Come by and enter for a chance to win a beautiful and personalized necklace courtesy of SimaG Jewelry!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great - put me to shame as I procrastinate my sewing projects!

    ReplyDelete
  12. After I saw what Anne did, I was totally thinking the same thing! I LOVE how yours turned out, especially because then you get to hide all the kiddo's lovely toys. Perfection (c:

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so freakin cute. I'm looking around my house right now to see what I could add a ruffle to...

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is adorable, what a great solution...you always make it look so easy, I know if I did this it would look a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  15. cute. I love a good ruffle :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't think I was a ruffle girl! Now I am:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is so adorable! Love the ruffles and the polka dots <3! Makes me want to borrow a little girl, just to decorate. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow ...great job and I bet your daughter loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The ruffled table skirt is so adorable :-) I really like the polka dot fabric - it's so fresh and fun. Great way to hide the clutter & dust bunnies :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the idea and the fabrics you chose!

    'Please visit our new website www.tableandtop.com'

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs