UA-22135472-1

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Selling on Craigslist

Who loves Craigslist, put up your hand.  I would not classify myself as a regular Craigslist shopper or seller but I have been dabbling in both over the last year.  Buying is easy.  As long as you have the time to drive to where the goods are, you're done.  Selling is a bit trickier and yesterday I posted 2 items.  One is already gone and the other has an offer to purchase.  I also have some very interesting observations.  You know me, I'm a sharing sort so here are the rules of Craigslist according to Carol.

1/  Don't try to get the same price you paid (or more) for your used item.
Here's the bunk bed I sold for $80 after paying $150 for it 2 years ago.  $10 worth of paint still nets me a few bucks in my pocket.  I had 10 inquiries in 6 hours.  Maybe I should have asked for more but it's gone from my house and that was the goal.

Pine bunk bed which may also be an Ikea bed for $200.  Ummm, isn't that more than you paid for this bed?

2/  If you're going to bother to post a photo, please show me what you're selling.
This was a posting for a wood bed frame with drawers.  Yeah, I don't think I'm going to get in my car to see this.

This was posted as RETRO VINTAGE TYPE COUCH FOLD UP BED.  I would have to agree this is definitely a couch type thing.

3.  Tidy up just a teensy bit.
This is my son's trundle bed we are selling.  Do you think my son's bed has EVER looked like this?  Never has and never will but if I expect you to fork over $550 then I am more than willing to clean the piles of junk off of it.

Just try and guess what these people are selling.  Can't do it, can you?  This is a posting for a bar cabinet for sale for $150.  Could you at least move the chair out of the way?

4.  Be sure to communicate what type of vehicle will be required for pickup.
This was a huge lesson learned today when the lady showed up to buy the bunk bed...with 2 kids in car seats.  Yes, we can disassemble it but we cannot magically transform it into the the size of a shoebox.  My husband and I ended up delivering it to her because there was no way she was EVER going to get the bed in to her vehicle.
So there you have it.  I have empowered you with the knowledge to go out and kick some Craigslist butt so off you  go.  Happy shopping friends!

22 comments:

  1. Pictures are worth a thousand word… if I can't really gauge what I am seeing in the picture to buy, I'll move on to the next listing. Good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you say Carol - I'm a craigslist shopper and seller and find it sooo frustrating at times!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I amuse myself with Craigslist. The over pricing, the junk, the spelling errors...I find it entertaining.

    (And in response to one of your comments, Ike appreciates his Canadian fan club. :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd think that people would use a little common sense, but you just proved that's not always the case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! That is crazy. The over priced items are what gets me everytime and bad photos. I whole heartedly agree with all you have said!

    I guess you are going to be buying new furniture?? FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You never know what you get, but pictures are definitely what gets people interested. I have been quite lucky buying stuff off craigslist, but when I posted a leather couch for sale, I got 3 suspicious emails, that wanted to know where I lived and they would come pick it up. They sounded so weird, so you have to watch out for craigslist sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of that is true! Good luck with selling your remaining item :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I agree with everything you said. I hope your second item goes fast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true! I never call about anything that doesn't have a good pic. I don't know why I think it's more likely that a serial killer will drag me into the basement if the pic looks like that "bar cabinet" pic, but I do. Great post! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. such a funny post!! i have yet to 'do' craigslist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know, Carol, I have often wondered how a nicely styled and composed photo could affect the price of a Craigslist piece. I think you just proved that it moves fast when you have a good picture. If I had more time and waa a teensy bit more devious, I'd experiment with that..
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great points! We sold a lot of things in April before selling our place in Muskoka and nice pics do help! And seriously, people coming to pick up items in the most ridiculous vehicles!
    And one tiny woman alone showing up to pick up a white slipcovered sofa in a pickup truck in the rain, with no cover for it and no help to lift the thing when I'd told her that she would need to bring an extra set of hands since I had hurt my back and couldn't help lift... sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this. I'm always amazed myself at the clutter and mess people are willing to show in public. I do love a good Craigslist find! I have a great one in my guest bedroom. Cheers! Ana

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm still laughing at that picture of the car!!!! Great post Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post carol. I was planning on doing a post on the items that I have for sale in our home and I thought that yours was so funny today. I linked up to you today in my post. Check out the items I have for sale!

    They are just not my style anymore and we are down sizing even though we aren't moving. I hope your items sell.

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  16. yeah. I can't believe some of the horrible pictures people post on CL, but on the other hand horrible photos might mean a sweet deal for people who can look past the piles of funky junk. But, as a CL seller it's all about presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love this post. Very funny and I love all your tips! I also find it hard to believe that some people will post such unflattering photos for stuff they are intending to sell for top dollar. Mind boggling, isn't it? It just goes to show that common sense is not so common after all!

    P/S: Come by and enter my giveaway for a chance to win a stylish book: 'Shoestring Chic' by Kerrie Hess!

    http://www.mixandchic.com/2011/09/giveaway-shoestring-chic.html

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. ha! hilarious. Funny 'cause it's true!! All of it...people really need to clean up after themselves (if you check out my house's before pictures in one of my first posts, you'll see a friend commented "I can't believe they left the house like that for you to come to!". And now I'm airing their dirty laundry on a blog. what of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It never ceases to amaze me what people will post pictures of when trying to sell. Or when they don't post a picture at all and expect you to drive clear across Atlanta to come SEE if it MIGHT be exactly what you wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  20. hilarious, i just read your post and then went to browse on craigslist and look what i found...

    what's an "almost antique mirror"? amazing.
    http://ottawa.en.craigslist.ca/fuo/2605204777.html

    but I'm glad it "reflects accurately".LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. Find the latest used and new cars for sale.
    Great used car deals and prices.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I went over this site and I trust you have a ton of brilliant data, spared to my bookmarks Sell Your Car Gold Coast

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs