UA-22135472-1

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

How to Create a Striped Wall

Before we moved I was given specific instructions by my 13-year-old son.  "I don't want my room looking all designer-y."  That was my instruction.  I offered to paint graffiti on his wall...no.  I offered to paint a bike scene because he's an avid mountain biker...no.  I offered to stencil words relating to biking...no.  Finally, I begged and pleaded and he agreed to let me paint stripes on ONE wall.  


Before doing any of the painting I measured the height of the wall and came up with a scheme that worked to accommodate the height.  In this case I basically have a small stripe in the centre of the wall that is surrounded on top and bottom by 2 equal, wide stripes of alternating colour.  Each of the stripes has a small stripe of the alternate colour in the centre.  I sketched it onto paper and added dotted lines to show which side of the line the tape should sit.  

The most important tool for success in creating horizontal stripes is a level.  I can't even imagine attempting this without one.  I measured down to the bottom of the first stripe, marked it off and then used the level to create the line across the wall.  Repeat to the bottom.  

Once you complete all the lines start adding your tape.  Remember when the stripe is the base colour you need to add the tape above the line rather than below.  This will allow you to paint the colour onto the second stripe below.

If you're a little sleepy or your mind is wandering I suggest you come back another day.  This part requires astute concentration so as not to paint the wrong colour in the wrong place.  Hopefully you use a paint that is one coat only and then you can remove the tape immediately.  This helps to avoid peeling the paint when you remove the tape.

TIPS & THOUGHTS

1.  I recently had a discussion with Barb about the best tape for painting stripes.  I love Frog tape and used it today with much success.  She recently painted black stripes on a wall and had a terrible experience with Frog Tape. Her paint required more than one coat and I guess Frog tape wasn't the right tape for paint that is going to dry and receive a second coat.  She used the blue tape and thought it worked best for her in this case.

2.  I have heard a lot of discussion about the headache of trying to keep vertical stripes straight and spacing them evenly across the wall.  If you want stripes but are lazy like me and want to get in done asap then go for horizontal.  I did this whole thing in 2 hours.

So there's a sneak peek at the boy's room.  Once the rest of the place is un-decorated I'll give you a tour.

33 comments:

  1. Well done! I wouldn't even attempt something like this - I don't have the patience to set it up right nor the self-control to paint it carefully, so I admire you. :) And, it made me sad for the day when my kids don't let me do whatever I want with their rooms...but I know the day will come! Sigh...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've just made the most daunting task look easy Carol! I think I might just have to muster up the patience to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Carol, the striped wall looks fantastic! This is a great tutorial post. Other than the painter tape choice, do you have any other tips to prevent bleeding? Your lines look so crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! Not only is it amazing looking, but you did it all in 2 hours?! I am certain it would have taken me at least that long to tape it up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Designer-y. Hahahaha. Love it.

    My brother is looking at houses and he keeps telling me that I can help him decorate..I just have to remember that a dude lives there.

    I really like the striped wall though. Very dude-ly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol it is wonderful! Great tips and love the color.....Hey, your son sounds like mine...He wants it to look good but he has his own ideas which are usually not mine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That wall looks fabulous. And not "designer-y" *wink*. Very masculine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! It definitely looks like a man lives there. A RUGGED, MANLY one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the way you chose not to make all the spacing identical, it's much more interesting. I've done horizontal stripes 3 times now and found that the best way to get a crisp line is to paint over the tape with your base color and let it dry before proceeding to the second color. This way, if anything bleeds through it will be the same as the base and it prevents your stripe color from bleeding.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your son sounds like fun. Great "un-design-y" look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still cracking up at your son's comments. Too funny! Well these stripes are great and he will love them in his room. I also used Frog tape on our stripes and it to work great. I removed the tape as soon as I was done with the first coat though, so that could be a part of it. And my brain hurts looking at your mock-up drawing for the tape and the paint. Great job - I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Carol, I love it. I have to laugh because my husband and I attempted to paint our spare bedroom with stripes.... an inspiration from Sarah Richardson ... I thought we were going to fight the whole way through but we actually had a lot of fun doing it. Can't wait for the reveal!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That grey and white wall looks incredibly chic! I love stripes with tiles too - both horizontal and vertical, a good way to zazz up cheap tiles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks awesome... but who's surprised? I'm glad you mentioned the Frog tape - my cousin had the same experience as Barb did, but he also had to do more than one coat... good to know now why that might have happened! Love your son's comment - kids and their bedrooms... did I tell you we got the bed moved over? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks awesome! Totally done by a designer...but don't tell your son. ;) I'm with Katie--taping alone would've taken me 2 hours. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your son's comment is cracking me up. Kids :)

    Thanks for breaking down the process. 2 hours is nothing for a result this fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Totally major! (Sorry I've been watching too many Rachel Zoe episodes).

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow!fabulous job Carol - does your son approve? I love it...and had to laugh at his directions for you. Is he your toughest client??

    ReplyDelete
  19. looks great!
    I L.O.V.E. frog tape. Even when I had to paint FOUR coats of navy blue in my guestroom, I got a super clean edge. I like to put the tape up and then use a putty knife to flatten it out some more.

    Anyway. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks perfect Carol. I'm impressed that it only took you two hours. Too funny, what your son said! The result is stylish and masculine, yet not too designer-y!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is going to sound ridiculous, but it never once occurred to me to peel the tape immediately after painting. Duh. And you only needed one coat here, huh? Your story about your son reminds me of me when I was a bit younger. I remember begging my mom not to set up an elaborate, nature inspired vignette at the Halloween party she volunteered to head up at my elementary school. I wanted a few store dumb, run-of-the-mill store bought decorations. What was I thinking? He'll come around. One day.
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  22. He's worried you'll make it all girly and "done". Can't blame the kid, cause "done" is what we do ... lol. Good for him for speaking up.
    Your patience for this kind of work blows my mind and I'd hardly call you lazy sweets.
    Yvonne and I had NO idea you were moving to Kelowna. How dumb are we? We both thought you were just moving houses locally. We must have missed that blog for sure!!!
    Miss you already. xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks great. How do you find the patience? I was thinking of drawing something on a wall and after I saw how much time it was going to take me I gave up. You are awesome. Thanks for all the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It looks amazing and may I say a bit designer-y but maybe your son won't notice :) I want to paint everything gray these days.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love stripes, but don't think I am brave enough to take on this daunting task!!! They turned out fantastic in your son's bedroom. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMGosh!! I love it:) Fab job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  27. It turned out awesome Carol! I am tired just reading all your posts - you are BUSY! I am going to paint grey stripes on my friend's daughter's wall - that "client" of mine! What colour of grey did you use?

    How did the Stonington Grey turn out? Did you colour match or go with BM?

    ReplyDelete
  28. It looks great!! Love the varied stripes! And can't wait to see the new grey and toffee that you painted in your living areas :).

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry Carol, totally catching up here! your son is funny... I love how this turned out, it really looks flawless. I would make a mess, I'm so impatient with this sorta thing! looks like you are keeping really busy in the new place :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm glad you are settling and having a blast creating your new home. Best of luck to you and the family! I love the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the wall... I won't tell him that it looks like a designer did it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. love the stripes!

    I haven't had luck with frog tape either, and think your tip might be why...hmmm

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs