UA-22135472-1

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

My Unsolicited 2 Cents Worth - Aura Paint

You know I can't resist trying out anything that all the cool kids are using.  There's little else happening in my life right now other than painting so naturally I'm on the lookout for the best options.  Aura seems to be capturing quite a bit of buzz lately so I thought I'd give it a try.

Remember the paint palette we chose for the bedroom?  The white was up and I was ready to tackle the feature wall in blue.


Philippe spied Blueberry in the deck and liked the brightness of it so that's what we went with.  See, I do let him make some decorating decisions.
In my excitement at the paint store I only ordered a litre.  My Carol-logic told me that if I can normally get away with a gallon for a whole bedroom then a litre should work for one wall.  The one thing I didn't consider was the intensity of the colour and that dark colours need more coverage.  Continue to read to discover the exciting conclusion to the mystery!


My husband's thoughts on my role in life.

Here's the finished product or at least a peek.  I've got a bit of styling to do in this room before you see more.


Here's what BM has to say about Aura paint on their website.
  • Extreme hide, never more than two coats in any colour
  • Provides a mildew resistant coating
  • Colour Lock Technology, no colour rub-off
  • Stains wash off easily
  • Excellent touch up
  • Self priming
  • Easy application
  • Long lasting
  • Easy cleanup


Here are my thoughts on the few things that can be considered after only 24 hours on the wall.  

Extreme hide, never more than two coats in any colour
True.  The colour was so rich and dark and even so I only needed one coat and then a light second coat. 

Self priming
True, I think.  These walls had already been primed and painted white so it's hard to say if an unprimed wall could be covered as well.  The fact that I didn't need a tinted primer to get the colour so quickly is impressive though. 

Easy application
True.  The paint went on like butter.  It was really a dream to work with.  No splatter whatsoever.

Easy cleanup
Not so much.  It did seem to come off the tray quite well but I felt like I was washing paint out of the brush for a very long time.  I threw the roller away but have to assume it would have been a massively long process there as well.  Maybe the superior adhesion is a detriment in washing up.

Verdict - I would definitely use this product again and I would absolutely recommend it.  Way to go Bennie!

26 comments:

  1. Such a gorgeous blue! I can't wait to see the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That color is gorgeous! I also love aura paint. I recently covered dark gray (BM Chelsea Gray) with BM Moonlight White, and it covered in one coat! I ended up doing a second light coat, but I was seriously amazed at the even coverage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love BM Aura paint! I bought a gallon of behr's equivalent product (paint+primer), and the results were horrible. It took 4 coats to do what the BM paint does in 1+. I will never stray again:-) Love the blue that you have gone with, can't wait to see the big reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh that colour looks hot...love it with the wood headboard. I haven't used Aura, but I have been extremely disappointed with Behr paint + primer (i'm with you Christine!) so it's good to know BM pulls through!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That colour is amazing! I can't wait to see more :-)
    I used Aura in Tapenade and also in Killarney. And trust me, the walls being covered up were Joseph's coat... mustard, turquoise, terracotta, navy blue, and royal blue... all in one house - I'm not kidding! I LOVED this paint, and the coverage was excellent... without the walls being primed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job! I love the pop of blue in the room. Can't wait to see the reveal! I also love BM paints but haven't tried Aura yet. I definitely will, now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post, yes, I've been spec'ing this paint for a while now and although some people find it difficult to cut in with - especially on unprimed drywall - it covers like magic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are teasing us! Can't wait to see the whole space. That blue looks amazing and can't believe how well it worked.
    Thanks for the encouragement today too. Feels so good to have my blog friends love on me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carol,

    Love that rich blue wall ... can't wait to see the reveal!

    In the "for what it is worth department ..." I wanted to add to the discussion about Aura being self-priming. I believe there is a difference between self-priming and being a primer, here's why: last year as part of our fire restoration I wanted to use a no / low VOC paint, so my painter talked to the BM Rep about Aura. We had been told by the Industrial Hygienist who worked on our smoke damage issue that we needed to apply several coats of a primer / sealer before paint, because primer / sealers lock in smells etc to the wallboard, but paint does not. The BM Rep told us that Aura was self-priming for the color technology - that's why you get such even, consistent coverage, but that Aura is not a primer in the way a sealer / primer is. We were advised not to use Aura for the fire restoration process for that reason. How this might apply in more normal daily life is if someone wants to paint latex over oil and was considering Aura; Aura would not provide that sealing / adhesion factor of a primer. I fear I've written too much and it might not make sense, but bottom-line, the industry can use "primer" and "priming" in very different ways. I think that Aura is a fabulous product even though it wasn't the right product for us to use in our fire restoration.

    Robin @ happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooooo, that blue is VERY pretty...I mean manly.

    Can't wait to see the rest of the room!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the colour!

    My only beef with Aura is it's durability is the pits! I painted our bathrooms with it and it washes up awfully, shows water stains, etc. As for furniture, also awful, it chips and flakes away, even though I used a proper primer underneath. So I say "meh".

    You are SUCH a busy bee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great color. I just used Aura paint for some furniture and I loved it. We have always used BM but this was my first time trying that line. It won me over!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow now that is a punch of awesome colour! Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love it too! Except for the price, it's my favourite type of wall paint! Can't wait to see the reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmm, I have a hard time justifying the price tag. Sherwin Williams makes a paint product that is sold here in the southeast that is really cheap and covers like a dream! I do love that blue and I'm looking forward to seeing the whole room!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've got me sitting at the edge of my seat!
    Btw, I'm a huge fan of paint w/ primer in one. I don't know why anyone would do it in two steps if they don't have to.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really great to know Carol - thanks for the tips. I was reading somewhere recently where a person commented on the application, but now I can't remember where I read that to see what the exact issue was (maybe the priming aspect?). I like all the tips I can get on paint. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely blue...

    I'm excited to see the other walls

    and how the entire room looks after the makeover.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm loving the blue and wood tone playing off each other! You're off to a great start! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So good to know! I've never used Aura but have always been a fan of BM. I just painted here in my guy's office and have never encountered such a thick paint - called Jotun. One coat to do a charcoal grey wall over white! Incredible.
    Your blue looks so rich and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That blue is AWESOME. I can't wait to see the room all styled for its photo shoot!

    I haven't used Aura paint, but I recently painted a room with BM Regal paint in a matte finish. I hadn't used BM paint in a while, and I have to say I was really impressed. I painted a light colour over a pretty intense & bright colour, and I had perfect coverage with just one coat. But I couldn't stop myself from doing a second coat out of habit! My only complaint is the price - $60 for a gallon of paint is pretty expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the midnight blue, thought about that colour for our master, it's really gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the blue, great post, I still need to try Aura. I have heard a lot of positive about it, thanks for you take on it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. yay! color! It's very rich and sophisticated, Carol. Great paint, huh? You will always need primer to cover difficult surfaces, but this one has fantastic coverage for being so green..

    ReplyDelete
  25. the color is amazing! i thought of this for the office, maybe too dark you think ?

    Caterine

    730design.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs