UA-22135472-1

Thursday, April 5, 2012

DIY Designer Tote

As promised in yesterday's post, here are the directions for making your own little diaper tote or just a little carry all if you're not into diapers.  I don't own an e-reader yet but I imagine it's probably something you could tuck in here.

I used a very thick fabric that has the same pattern on both sides so I didn't need to line it.  If you use a thinner fabric you might want to add lining for durability.

1. Cut all your pieces of fabric.  These are my dimensions...
2 @ 8.5" x 9.5"
2 @ 8.5" x 5"
1 @ 2" x 16"

2. Hem the top edges of the front and back.  Pin the accent fabric to right side of front and back and sew.

3. To make the strap fold your long piece of fabric in half with right sides together.  Sew along the sides but leave an opening in the bottom. Flip it right side out.  I needed to use a chop stick for this because the fabric is so thick.  Tuck the raw edges of the unfinished end inside and sew a seam across.  

Trim edges so it's not too bulky when you flip right side out.  Sew finished strap to the inside of the back piece.

4.  Sew velcro to the strap and the front of tote.

5.  Pin and sew ribbon or trim to top and bottom of each piece of accent fabric.
There was a last minute change in trim colour after discovering I didn't have any thread to match the light blue.


6.  Place the 2 finished pieces together, right side facing in.  Sew a 1/2" hem along the bottom and both sides.


7.  To make a box corner, hold one corner and squeeze sides together.  Sew a hem across it 1" from the corner.  Snip the edges for a nice neat corner.


Now go forth and be stylish!




The Shabby Nest

12 comments:

  1. This is so cute. I'm pinning it because I currently have 4 pregnant friends and I plan on making one of these for each of them. What a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! I wonder if you can use it for anything else? ...... Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute and I agree, could be used for many things. But I truly think this is super cute because of the fabrics you paired together ... you are so good at mixing fabrics Carol! Guess that's why you are a decorator / designer :)

    Robin
    happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the colours and the feel. I actually don't have a tote, end up using old paper bags so that's something I must get onto it. Carol - you need to have your own TV show, yo're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I love that orange and cream fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome. Love the mix of colors and patterns. You are so crafty :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect timing, I just visited a tiny little baby today...my former babysitter had a baby. She's 32!! She would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm jealous of your fabric stock. Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute!! I just love this! You are so talented! Love how you just pick all the right colors and details! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Still completely in love with this idea - and those FABRICS. Pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this tote! When it's no longer needed for diapers, I'm sure it'll have plenty of other uses - beyond cool!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how cute! It's on my list this year to learn to sew, and I will definitely try this project. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs