UA-22135472-1

Monday, April 2, 2012

Mom Cave - Part 2

I am continuing my journey towards sanity by creating my own little Mom Cave where nobody can step past the invisible perimeters.  If you missed Part 1 go quickly and catch up.
Being a designer means my life is full of fabric samples, paint chips and torn out magazines pages.  Usually they land in the kitchen or dining area and usually they are treated like placemats, surfaces for hot plates or worse.  My solution is a fabric covered bulletin board.

The board was previously used in my son's room but he didn't want it anymore and it was begging for a makeover.

I started by giving it 2 coats of black gloss spray paint.
TIP - If you are using light coloured fabric, cover the cork before spray painting so the paint doesn't show through.
I used some leftover Koto fabric which you might recall was an obsession of mine last year when I declared my love for Alexander Henry (the manufacturer).  Spray glue would work but I was out so hot glue stepped in.  I ironed the fabric and smoothed it out so there were no wrinkles.  I pinned it in place and glued it around all the edges.

I added a very thin trim just to finish it off.
I wanted to show you the finished product hanging in its new habitat but there is very little natural light in this room so I need to work on my photography skills a bit more:(
BTW, for anyone who loves Chiang Mai but can't stomach the price tag on it, get a look at this .

Home Stories A2Z

21 comments:

  1. Chiang Mai super-lover {but not the price} here, so I will have to take a look at Koto. Would never have grasped the similarity of the colorway and some elements had you not put the fabrics side by side and pointed it out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the Koto tip! Love the pin board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. always loving asian-inspired textiles, and what really makes this is that bit of trim - adds such a finished touch. We all should have a mom-cave, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spray adhesive!! Hello, why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spray adhesive... holy Hannah that stuff sticks! After my bookcase makeover I have a whole new respect for it! And Mom, with a glam bulletin board like this one, your cave is going to be fabulous! DO NOT STEP OVER the invisible line :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! i was right :) LOVE that fabric. I might have to get me some - perhaps you want to share your source with moi?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh to have a mom cave...where can I get one those, Carol?

    I like your idea for covering the cork without taking out the entire back. So smart and good looking too. Now I can pick up a cork board without a way to take the backing off at the thrift shop!
    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! I 've been meaning to do this for...a year or os. Right. Thanks for the reminder that it is a nice easy and good looking project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love the fabric!! so because i'm single and live alone does that mean i already have a girl cave? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice Carol! It's such a great idea :)Great tips too. Have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you go get that mom cave! Love your board! I can totally relate to the torn out magazine pages everywhere!! It's become a problem....but there is just sooo much to love!!
    Kelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks awesome! Can't wait to see your cave :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've got way too many magazine clippings, fabric samples, etc - I'm going to need to make me one of these soon. Yours turned out so cute - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks gorgeous! Nice detail with the finishing trim!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a very similar frame that I have been saving to do something similar. The black is gorgeous. Happy Easter Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I know this post is old but I just discovered your blog through Kelly's blogroll at View Along the Way, and I am super excited to see a professional designer geeking out over that fabric! Because yes, after looking at every bolt in JoAnn I finally came home with three coordinating prints for my LR that did not look stupid and that were inexpensive, and THAT was the cornerstone. Then I discovered that my husband of just over a year hates light blue in decorating. I now await a mom cave or baby room or something to use my yardage...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs