An over-styler is someone who styles their home to look like a magazine layout. Trends are great but only in moderation. Take a look at the list I've compiled. If you are guilty of one or more of these, you should seek immediate intervention.
1. Fabric Extravaganza - Chevron, Ikat, Quatrefoil, Imperial Trellis, Suzani or Greek Key. If you're nodding your head enthusiastically and being transported to your happy fabric place then it may be too late for you already. If you have 2 or more of these patterns in one room of your house, you're over-styled.
Over-styling remedy: Find fabrics you love rather than loving what's hot. I'm a big polka dot fan and I use it everywhere. Pair your love with a trend and it'll look super trendy but unique.
2. Party Like a Rock Star - Do you own a bar cart? Do you throw cocktail parties? If you said yes to both you're okay but if you said yes to the first and no to the second, you're over-styled.
3. The Domino Effect - The Domino decorating book is an icon of good style. Do you own it? Great. Are you currently using it as the focal point of a vignette? Bad. You're an over-styler.
Over styling remedy: Use any other book ever printed for display purposes at least for the next 2 years. I own this book but it's well hidden for now because this book screams over-styler.
4. Stripemania - Have you recently painted either vertical or horizontal stripes on any wall in your home? Alone you're fine but in conjunction with anything else on the list and you're an over-styler.
Over-styling remedy: Do something to make your stripes different from the rest. Change the size of the stripes, use only a few, very thin but well placed stripes or do stripes in the centre of the wall and do them in a bold colour.
5. Framed - Gallery walls are hot, hot, hot. I love them but if you have more than 10 frames hanging in a room and not one of them includes a photo of a person you love then you're an over-styler.
Over-styling remedy: Make sure that there's something personal on your walls. It can be a photo, a letter, a scribbled drawing from your child. It just looks like YOU live there and that's what you want.
So there you have it. I will readily admit that I myself am an over-styler and I can give you the number of a good therapist if needed. What about you? Are you guilty?