UA-22135472-1

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Are you an Over Styler?

I recently read an article in the New York Times entitled "How to Tell When You're Over-Propped".  It hit such a nerve with me that I just had to write my own version in an effort to rid you all of your over-styling ways.

An over-styler is someone who styles their home to look like a magazine layout.  Trends are great but only in moderation.  Take a look at the list I've compiled.  If you are guilty of one or more of these, you should seek immediate intervention.

1.  Fabric Extravaganza - Chevron, Ikat, Quatrefoil, Imperial Trellis, Suzani or Greek Key.  If you're nodding your head enthusiastically and being transported to your happy fabric place then it may be too late for you already.  If you have 2 or more of these patterns in one room of your house, you're over-styled.


Over-styling remedy:  Find fabrics you love rather than loving what's hot.  I'm a big polka dot fan and I use it everywhere.  Pair your love with a trend and it'll look super trendy but unique.

2.  Party Like a Rock Star - Do you own a bar cart?  Do you throw cocktail parties?  If you said yes to both you're okay but if you said yes to the first and no to the second, you're over-styled.

Over-styling remedy:  Just don't do it.  Booze is great but it's just not that exciting as a decorating tool (especially if you drink it all and your cart is empty most of the time).

3.  The Domino Effect - The Domino decorating book is an icon of good style.  Do you own it?  Great.  Are you currently using it as the focal point of a vignette?  Bad.  You're an over-styler.


Over styling remedy:  Use any other book ever printed for display purposes at least for the next 2 years.  I own this book but it's well hidden for now because this book screams over-styler.

4.  Stripemania - Have you recently painted either vertical or horizontal stripes on any wall in your home?  Alone you're fine but in conjunction with anything else on the list and you're an over-styler.
My entrance

Over-styling remedy:  Do something to make your stripes different from the rest.  Change the size of the stripes, use only a few, very thin but well placed stripes or do stripes in the centre of the wall and do them in a bold colour.

5.  Framed - Gallery walls are hot, hot, hot.  I love them but if you have more than 10 frames hanging in a room and not one of them includes a photo of a person you love then you're an over-styler.

Over-styling remedy:  Make sure that there's something personal on your walls.  It can be a photo, a letter, a scribbled drawing from your child.  It just looks like YOU live there and that's what you want.

So there you have it.  I will readily admit that I myself am an over-styler and I can give you the number of a good therapist if needed.  What about you?  Are you guilty?

30 comments:

  1. Haha. I love this. I am guilty of gallery walls, but they all contain people I love, I swear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! Luckily I'm only guilty of my Domino book and perhaps my shopping bag gallery wall falls into that category? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ba ha ha! i have done ALL of these. oh my lord. but my domino book is with others in the armoire in my bedroom, my stripes are horizontal under the chair rail in my dining room, the fabrics are just a couple of pillows to add color, and then the chevron curtains in my son's room that he chose.... let's see the gallery walls are family photos and special sayings in one, and the other one is in my craft closet and full of things that make me happy. and the bar cart i made out of a small server we had because we needed liquor storage badly!
    so i think i have made them all my own, but wow am i guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! Loved this post! The bar cart and Domino are the funniest! I do have stripes on the wall but nothing else. Whew. Guess I"m not as cool and overstyled as I thought. ;) Thanks for the laughs this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha.. I was going to say no but I guess I am guilty! I do avoid the fabric trends.. I like new versions of chevron but some of is waaaaay overdone.. especially if you have the coordinating fabrics. However, I will defend my domino book. I still love it !

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love ALL fabrics and have to force myself to empty my "cart" every time I go online fabric shopping. I'm actually getting better at focusing on what I love, but it's a process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read that NYTimes article, too. Funny additions. Reading blogs makes me very aware of how I am so NOT a styler! In fact, I could probably use a bit more but "vignettes" are simply not practical with small children. My kids are always taking the few things I do have out for practical purposes--like the coasters in the living room--and repurposing them for play. Been meaning to do a post about the impracticality of vignettes, in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU! You have in the sweetest way absolved me of 1) painting chevron stripes on the accent wall in my bedroom 2) buying another Domino book - I keep lending mine out, silly girl 3) bringing home anymore Greek Key fabric in whatever colour of the moment Pantone has decided I should have it in 4) framing one more ripped out calendar page of a conch shell and 5)providing any more booze from a "tablescaped" slapped together bar cart option for my friends who just want to swim in my pool and get drunk ;) CHEERS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not guilty, and finally feeling like there's hope for me! Seriously. Well, okay... I own a bar cart - does Friday martini night with hubs count as a cocktail party? ;-) Great post coming at a very good time! Did I say how awesome it is to have you back? Just say'n!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Let's see, stripes - love them, but would argue they're timeless. And I just had a photographer shoot my master bedroom and wouldn't you know there's my copy of DOmino on the nightstand? Right alongside the chevron/ikat duvet cover. Thankfully I don't have a bar cart!

    Stop by and help me pick out a front door color!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this...I am not so guilty of being an overstyler (not that disciplined!)...but as an over everything..! As you have not been in my home Carol, you would not know this...but those that have, & a few are above...they can attest, IT IS OVER cluttered! With a business that requires me to purchase for clients, a booth, staged shoots & a huge (collectables) addiction problem I am over the top styled! I remember the comment of one stylist..."oh, its like a store in here"..hahhah!
    I love this post... what ever makes you happy is all that matters....and sometime over staging does!
    But Barb's comment is the best.
    p.s. I still think about your striped walls, often, & with deep affection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha I have done the stripe thing, but none of the others. Yet. Give me time. ;) I actually JUST purchased some polka dot fabric for a project...they're a first for me so I am sorta nervous, but I think it will work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That photo wall was dizzying. Great post with great solutions! I saw myslef in many of these examples, hate to admit but that's ok - :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hahaha. Totally guilty. I'll take the number of that therapist please.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really great points! I wish I had the vision to have known that my ikat curtains and trellis pattern pillows would be overkill...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I sometimes wonder about this - that those who walk into our home who aren't knee deep in design feel like our house doesn't look "real". The thing that makes me feel better is that everything is somehow personal (like my gallery wall of photography that I actually took!), not just purchased and trendy, which is what I think you said too...making sure these designs mean something make it wonderful, if not it's just styled! Grear post Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great ........ I have done none of these things above! I rock. Thanks for making my day Carol, I hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha! You made my day! Well, I have recently acquired a bamboo "bar cart", although....I call it a "serving table." Does that absolve my guilt? I agree with Colleen...whatever makes you happy. Died laughing at Barb's comment! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh dear...I don't know what your talking about! Dangit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super interesting post and nice to see you're back (you're back, right?!?!) Missed you around the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm guilty!! I love my Domino book and still look through it all the time for ideas or inspiration. I also am serving cart guilty, but only because it it so convenient to serve a drink or snacks:))

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so laughing out loud right now! I loved this post! And I agree with you 100%

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am definitely an over-styler!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hahaha... I'm SUCH an over-styler!!! I think the only one I'm not guilty of is the gallery wall of impersonal pics... (I do have a gallery wall (obvs)... but filled with photos that I love.)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fabulously funny, and cleverly written. You just nailed it!,, if I see any more animal heads on walls I will go crazy......

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am sooooo glad someone finally had the knick knacks to say these things! AND it's groovy to have you back, you were out a sight too long!
    Kim@reposhture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just found your blog and love this post--so true! Whenever clients ask me for more than one of these things by name I know I'm (generally) dealing with some blog readers! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs