UA-22135472-1

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Working with What You Have

Have you ever purchased something for your home with no idea of where it would end up?  Yup, me too.  That's the case with this bolt of silk fabric that I bought a few years ago.  I purchased it with the intention of using it for curtains in my daughter's bedroom but 3 bedrooms and 3 cities later I'm still dragging it around.

As I was scouring my fabric books looking for the perfect fabric to make some curtains for our master bedroom I realized that this perfectly good fabric needs to be put to use.  Not necessarily a colour I would have chosen for our bedroom I am now taking this as a challenge and am determined to make it work.  Not only make it work but make it fabulous.

Here's how to incorporate something you don't love and turn the room into a space you really do love.

In this case I need a fabric with lots of colour and pattern for a duvet cover.  The fabric should include the colour of the fabric you're starting with.
 Now you can focus on a secondary colour that you actually do like.  I'll need this for pillows.

It's important to repeat not only colour but patterns.  In my case I'll add one of these fabric trims to the curtain fabric.



And finally a rug is essential for finishing it all off.  I can't finish a room without some black and especially a room like this that's been worked around bright colours.

Now that I have a plan I'm actually quite excited about using the silk.  See how easy it is to use what you've got and make it work.                               

17 comments:

  1. Great tips! Love being able to use what you have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent. It's going to look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes! there is so much to using what you have. I love your tips for how to go about it. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see it all together! I have that suzani in my bedroom and LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that rug! I am confident that you can pull it all off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my I can't wait to see what it all turns out like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it!

    I'm curious what color you had intended for the master?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Working with what you have is my modus operandi! No, I mean, with what one has ;-) It's amazing how creative you can get once you wrap your head around it. And I'm looking forward to seeing what you do here! Great tips for pulling it all together, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to do this all the time- work with what I have! Your tips for making your fabric work are great. I love the direction you're going with it; the choices are all so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I've dragged fabric from house to house too. Most is in storage now but I'll need to make a point of using it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very clever use of what you already have! I admit when I saw the bolt of pink I cringed- until I saw the amazing ideas you came up with for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hurry and finish it, 'cause I'm dying to see the "after" pictures!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You tricked me I was totally expecting to see a reveal here....... Darn it. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ahah I would also like to see the afters!! I do love the plan though...will stay tuned for the finished product! Can;t believe your hubs let you swindle that fabric through 3 moves :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the up close pic! The strands of orange with the pink are fabulous... but I happen to be loving orange and pink together. Love where you're headed Carol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like that fabric! I am always finding stashes hiding....your rooms sounds fabulous~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good for you, working with what you have! I'm always trying to do that - to save money! That rug is amazing, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs