UA-22135472-1

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

From Chaos to Calm

I['m pretty sure most of you don't have a hundred fabric books lying around creating piles of clutter like we do in our house but being a designer means they are tools of the trade.  I like to call it an occupational hazard but the truth is that I love to pore through the books drooling over all the gorgeous fabrics.  The downside is they are big and unruly and take up a LOT of room.

I was keeping all the books in a bookcase but it too difficult to see what I had and decided that I needed a new solution.  A portable wardrobe with some S rings created an amazing solution to my problem.  I'm organized and blissfully happy now.

Each fabric manufacturer has it's own rack.

This is the wardrobe I used but it was too wobbly and unstable at this height.  There are 2 metal bars that click together to create the vertical height.  I eliminated one of them and now it sits only 3' from the ground and won't tip over from the weight.  Organized AND smart!!

There's a shelf on the bottom for storing some of the small, lesser used books.



There's a good chance that all my talk of being an organizing superstar will be lost when I show you this photo but truly, this is what would previously happen when I would start to pull out books to look for a particular colour or pattern.



Piles of ugly mess and a random label maker.


And now...ahhhh!

Now I just need to find a place to store all these rolling bins.  There may be an addition going on our house soon!

14 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Definitely beats all those piles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever! Wish I could come over and look through all those gorgeous fabrics. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its a good thing I don't have access to those swatch books cause I'd never get anything done except flipping through the "pages". You're solution is perfect for the problem presented by those books. I even expect you can scan the exposed edges to zone in on colors you are searching for. Your organizing superstar status is safe even with the messy picture cause there's a random label maker there, ready, willing and able!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a genius way to store fabric books! So much easier to see which book is which and what book you're looking for. Not to mention the fact that you don't have to hold your breath and hope for the best when you finally find the book you want and have to tug it out from the bottom of the pile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This makes me so happy. I could look at fabric all day long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Addition? But I love how you organized it all - how I would LOVE to pour through those books!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smart Cookie! What a great solution. No more fabric book avalanches. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome, Carol! Seriously, that is a perfect solution for those books. And I actually really like the pic of the toppling books - it's proof of a designer in action! What's not to love about that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am actually quite jealous of all your fabric books! And you came up with a great solution :)

    Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic idea! It feels so good to be organized doesn't it? Love your fabric books!
    Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you are one organised lady! I need to take a leaf out of your book, or a hook out of your book by crook. You always have the awesomest solutions!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really admire you designers. It's always about making other people's homes look beautiful and put together. It's nice to see you take the initiative and make your own space organized. Those fabric books look like a challenge to have to deal with. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs