UA-22135472-1

Monday, August 13, 2012

Mom Cave Update

It's been a while since I've made any progress on the Mom Cave.  I decided that I needed a lighter, less cluttered look so I moved the wallpapered bookcase to a different part of the room.  I claimed a desk and a storage unit from other areas of the house and decided to give them both a coat of paint to lighten up the dark look.

This storage unit is perfect for holding all my Ikea boxes filled with sewing accessories, craft supplies, drafting tools and my colour decks.


Originally a dark brown wood but I think it's so much fresher now.  I used up some leftover paint and mixed together Benjamin Moore's Sea Salt (CSP 95) and Cosmopolitan (CSP 100) to create this beautiful off-white.  I'm calling this new paint colour Salted Cosmopolitan.  I gave it a coat of Minwax Polycrylic to finish and protect it.

Before...

 Next is a new desk for me to work at.  This one is painted in Sea Salt and then I added a black stain to the top.  I waxed the top to give it a nice lustre and protect the top from pen marks and chocolate stains.

Before...

I'm really enjoying confiscating whatever I desire from various rooms in the house.  Next up I'll be stealing a small bookcase from my daughter so that I have somewhere to keep all my office supplies.  Mom Cave is coming together, people!

18 comments:

  1. So exciting. I love how it is coming together. The shape of that first bookcase is so cool and impressively organized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh so beautiful! I am loving the curves of the bookcase!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both pieces are beautiful but I love the shape of the bookcase best! Those curves are gorgeous. The room is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look fabulous, Carol!! I love that you use pens and chocolate in your DIY practise!!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha ... Salted Cosmopolitan sounds like a cocktail, but it makes a lovely custom color too. And yes, I also thought it was funny that you needed to protect the pretty desktop from chocolate stains ... but I'm right there with you ;) The "new" bookcase is a very cool mid-century shape; you come up with some of the most desirable pieces of furniture. And now I'm being nosy, did I spy the louvered chest in the background that you were planning to paint blue?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovin the mom cave!!!! ALOT! You always choose the perfect paint color. I know it's white but it's sea salt white. Love the name and the color! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that you're lightening up these pieces - they look fresh, and very 'cosmopolitan'... But I think my favorite part is the added protection from chocolate stains! We always think about kids and pets, but chocolate? Now you're designing! Oh, and will this work for wine stains, too? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicely done. Like that you are practical and are protecting your desk top from chocolate stains. You clearly have your priorities straight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! You deserve a wonderful work space. It is looking great!
    Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh, looks like we're on the same wave length...I've been on a kick lately of stealing a dresser from one room, repainting it and repurposing it for a new and improved use! Your mom-cave is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the idea of a Mom cave and the bottom pic really appeals. Sometimes I feel a bit exposed with my desk in the kitchen....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking good! It's great that you're able to shop your house for pieces to put into your Mom cave - better to use something that you already have if you can :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lookin good, Carol!!! So cool to be able to reuse things, dontcha think? PS - I cant believe your friend gets to do those High-Low style features, that's WAYYYYYYYYYY cool

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're Mom Cave is coming along beautifully, Carol. I'd love to see a pic of how you finished the desk top. It sounds like a great idea for a work surface.
    Hope you're having a wonderful day,
    ~ Wendi ~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks fantastic...love the colour mixing and LOVE the protection from chocolate. Well done, madame!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So perfect! I love how you have managed to transform that piece of furniture into a place you will want to sit and write, and work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving how your mom cave is coming together!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that shelf unit repainted! It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs