UA-22135472-1

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

DIY Cookbook

A young lady who is very, very important to me recently moved into her first apartment.  I wanted to give her something that will be meaningful and help her to think of all of us.  I decided on a cookbook because a/ it might be helpful for a person living on their own for the first time and b/ it's personal.  I grabbed all the supplies and my daughter and I got to it.

We decided on our family's favourite recipes which is a Herculean task in itself given that we have 2 vegetarians and 2 carnivores in the house.  Agreeing on recipes was not going to happen so each person contributed a few.


 We also added our thoughts on the recipe and I thought this was the best part.  Everyone was honest and it was clear that the teenage boy needs to be put on a detox.  The boy who used to love everything is rebelling BIG time.

Not surprisingly,  my son claims not to have eaten most of the things in the book while my daughter adores everything.  Thank goodness for her or I'd just give up cooking altogether.



We spent a few hours doing this and added over 20 recipes.  There's tons of room in the book for Chelsea to add her own as well.  

My daughter is only 11 but is already planning to start a book of her own for when she gets her own place.

19 comments:

  1. This is a great idea - I love the additional reviews of the recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet of you and truly original. The reviews are the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable and perfect. Everyone needs a family cookbook in their first place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Practical pretty funny &pretty! What a great gift!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great gift idea! I love all the hand-written titles and reviews - really gives the book a personal hand-crafted-with-love touch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun idea! I love the collaboration and family comments!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a thoughtful gift, I'm sure she'll have as much fun reading reviews as trying your recipes! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is such a great idea! i have a cookbook my mom made me with all the recipes that were important when i was growing up- and chris' mom gave him a similar recipe file box. they are so special to us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When my husband and I moved in together his mom gave us a recipe book with all of Chris's favorite recipes from home. I thought it was the sweetest thing. No doubt your gift will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the comments - "never had it" great boy answer, as I'm sure he's eaten some of that stuff. Too funny, and a super sweet gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the cutest idea ever! And adding in the personal comments really makes it special - I wish I had gotten one of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol, in about twenty years you and your daughter will cherish this cookbook. My mother and I did something similar when I was 13 and now I'm 48 and I smile and giggle every time I browse thru it. The first cake I baked was called a "busy day caked" by Betty Crocker :)

    Have fun adding many recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea Carol! The Christmas after my husband and I got engaged my MIL bought me a recipe file and filled it with recipes for all of my husband's favorites. It remains one of my favorite gifts of all time. It is always such a pleasant surprise when someone takes the time to make a gift rather than running to the mall.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an adorable idea! I think any gal would love to get such a personal and thoughtful gift. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awe, this is such a great idea! I really like your family feedback... and your son's kills me! ...A&W is better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How sweet!! Your sons comments are hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The reviews/comments on each recipe are AWESOME. Total family heirloom in the making. Now the only left for you to do is show up at her apartment and make all the recipes for her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love everything about this cookbook which is a real-time montage of how the recipe really turned out. Couldn't make it up - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is adorable! And bright and thoughtful and happy, it's a cookbook I'd want for sure. It must have brought some happy tears to this woman.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs