UA-22135472-1

Thursday, September 13, 2012

My Win & My New BFF

A while ago I entered a contest held by my blog buddy Kelly at Jax Design.  She was giving away a piece of art by Ottawa artist Susan Bailie.  As soon as I saw it I knew it must be mine.  I actually willed the win.  Believe me, it's true.

MY WIN......................................


Susan uses a metallic foil to create the most amazing finish on her pieces.  It's incredible how the painting appears to be different colours at different times of day, or I guess it's actually that different colours are more dominant at different times of day.  Either way, it's truly a beloved piece to me now and there will be additional pieces added to our home in the future.

MY NEW BFF...............................

I know I'm not exactly the first one to this party but chalkboard spray paint has become a bit of an obsession for me lately.  I may just love this as much as my label maker (gasp!).

Last week I needed labels for the pantry and decided to give the paint a try.  I used contact paper as well as standard mailing labels.  I gave them each a coat of chalkboard paint.  Once it dries I ran my chalk across the entire area to "set" the paint.  Apparently, this will help to avoid having the letters set into the paint the first time you use chalk.

You KNOW everything in my house is getting a chalkboard label this weekend, right?

19 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great win! I love it! I tried chalkboard spray paint and it didn't work well for me but I'm glad you love it. :) The labels look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! awesome win!!! have fun with your new bff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love spray paints but I've never tried the chalk board one. I'm adding this to my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your little buckets - I wonder if I can find that spray paint around here...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't know if you created the mantle around your new piece of art or if your fireplace / mantle already was styled that way, but the art fits there so perfectly and completes the lovely vignette. I agree, you simply had to win. Lovely, lovely, lovely styling of the fireplace area. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan's painting looks fantastic on your mantel! Congrats again on being my giveaway winner - I totally believe you willed it, I know how much you love and wanted the painting :-) It couldn't have gone to a better home!

    I went a little bit label-crazy this past weekend. Although my labels aren't as pretty as your chalk paint labels - they really look sharp :-) Everyone in your house better keep moving, because I have a feeling that if it's standing still, you'll be sticking a label on it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! So happy the painting has such a beautiful new home!!! Congrats on the win! I'm so happy you love it! Thanks again to Kelly James for making it all possible! :) Sue Bailie Art Walls

      Delete
  7. Chalkboard lover-right here! So many uses, and colours now! Love the pantry labels...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh and congrats on the win! There's so much talent out there...what a great little piece of art:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, that's too awesome! Label with love, and give that guy in the garage a chance to keep up! ;-) Thanks for the chalking tip - I wouldn't have thought to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS - Congratulations on the win :-) Looks great on your mantle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan's painting is absolutely PERFECT for your mantle Carol; I love it!!! I just purchased a label maker and have been labeling everything... so I had to laugh when you wrote that love yours because I can totally relate! When I'm ready to share my label love, I'll definitely try your chalk board labels :-)
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats! And no I have not tried chalkboard paint! Gasp! But I have Martha Stewart chalk labels which are amazing! And you can re-use them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wooooooah your idea of chalkboard painting labels instead of going through the painstaking process of taping off jars to make a square FOR a label is GENIUS. you deserve the piece of art just for that brain child.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so funny...and clever!!!! Love the chalkboard labels, and the artword you won!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're hilarious!!!!! I love that stuff and have to get my hands on it. Beautiful artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That mirror is stunning especially with the art piece in front of it. Love chalk board paint - should have used it in my daughters room, she a sign maniac.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay for winning!! I love your chalkboard label idea! I have a strong urge to label things now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool prizes, you lucky girl.
    And great use for the chalkboard spray paint. I didn't even know the stuff was available as a spray! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs