UA-22135472-1

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Transform an Ugly Filing Cabinet

If you read yesterday's post you know how much I love, love, love Frog Tape.  You also know that I"m part of their Blog Squad and with that comes a supply of tape for our blog projects.  When a box of tape arrived at my home I contemplated what needed to be done around the homestead.  First up is to beautify an old filing cabinet and make it Mom Cave worthy.

I was gifted with an old filing cabinet a year or two ago (procrastinate much Carol?) and it's been sitting in the garage waiting to be given a facelift.
1.  Remove the handles and the name plate from the drawers.  I found an awesome way to reuse the Frog Tape container while I worked on this.  It was my storage bin during the process so that the handles and screws didn't get lost.  


2.  Tape off the inside of the drawers so they don't get painted.  I didn't want to deal with scraping paint from files being pulled and sorted.

3.  Spray your base colour and then tap your fingers impatiently as you wait for it to dry.

4.  If you need a second coat, go for it.  I let it dry overnight but I also used the Frog Tape for delicate surfaces just to be sure it didn't pull off any paint.  I really don't like measuring so I taped the entire drawer with tape and then pulled off every second piece.  I will refer to this as the Lazy Girl Striping Method.



.....................................................You may be wondering why this is white but ended up black.  I started with a white paint in satin but hated the finish so I switched to the only gloss I had on hand that would work.  Is that a design plan coming together or what???...................................................................

4.  Finish spraying and peel the tape off while the paint is still wet.  If you let the paint dry it's possible that the paint could peel.  Good tip, huh?  You're welcome.



You know I can never, ever resist a chevron and I'm loving this filing cabinet now.  The Mom Cave is getting closer and closer to completion.

This is a sponsored post brought to you by FrogTape. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

26 comments:

  1. i am dying right ow for two reasons....
    1. i love it.
    2. i totally almost guessed file cabinet because of the hardware in the pic, but then i thought, nah.... too obvious. ;) man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just inspired a project. I need to paint a "thing" in my kitchen and now I know how it will be done. Love the chevron and I'm a sucker for b&w. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course you would be able to make a filing cabinet look fantastic! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work!!! I love that zebra look!!! viva the frog tape!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rocked this filing cabinet! I've never, and I mean n.e.v.e.r seen one look so good! I wanna hang out in your Mom Cave!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks soooo good!! I could use a few of those in my office, very Kelly Wearstler inspired:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! Seriously, I so wish I was brave enough to try on of your amazing projects. I'd love to try this one in maybe yellows for my office! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this project, Carol! I was just trying to decide what to do with my ugly old filing cabinet earlier this morning. I think I've decided to paint it white and paper the drawer fronts in a black and white floral pattern. Great job, you creative girl, you!
    Wendi xox

    ReplyDelete
  9. Waaaaaaayyyyy better than a regular filing cabinet! Love the black & white chevron stripes - and your lazy girl striping method too :-)

    I always pull tape off as soon as I'm finished painting, and I rarely have paint peel off. The only thing is, you have to be sure you're really done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great, great idea. I was just thinking about bringing up the old black metal filing cabinet we have in the basement and giving it a little TLC. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did a great job on the filing cabinet. This is definitely not your typical filing cabinet. Oh, I love the stripe detail, too!

    Jessie
    www.mixandchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Be still my beating heart. My favourite pattern! Amazing job Carol, I wouldn't of expected anything less!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is the prettiest, most stylish filing cabinet I have ever seen. It is making plain old filing cabinets around the world cower in shame.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute! If there is one thing that companies can never get right, it's the necessary filing cabinet. You took blah and made it fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. ooooh definitely a good looking cabinet now! I love how it turned out and I LOVE your measuring method. Genius, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome! And I love the lazy stripe method haha.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow I never would have guessed it, Carol you did an amazing job your stripes are so crisp and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are smokin' hot right now!!! Congrats on all the good stuff coming your way--all your hard work is paying off. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely fabulous! I'm also a fan of the Lazy Girl Striping Method. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super cool project!!! Love the black and white.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the black and white stripes! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Be sure you have all of the supplies you need. A series of hanging files combined with manila files, all clearly labeled, is a great way to organize any file system.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs