UA-22135472-1

Monday, October 8, 2012

DIY Chalkboard Tray

Every busy kitchen needs a chalkboard, right?  I needed one but couldn't find the right size so I decided to turn an old thrift store tray into a chalkboard instead.  Maybe one of the easiest diy projects I've done but I love the way it turned out.

It's perfect for making notes for guests like I did this weekend for our Thanksgiving dinner guests...

Here's what I started with.

A little newspaper, chalkboard sparay paint and Frog Tape were all the required goods.

Protect the areas you don't want to chalk up with paper and tape it down.

Apply 2 coats of paint.  Pull off the Frog Tape as soon as you finish applying the second coat and this will ensure the paint has a crisp, clean line.

Rub your chalk across the entire surface and then wipe it off.  This will ensure that your works of art won't set into the paint when you first use the chalk on it.


Perfect for leaving messages for the family.

Or organizing your spices and keeping a running list of what you need at the grocery store.

This is a sponsored post brought to you by FrogTape. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

27 comments:

  1. Awesome! I have always wanted to try this on a tray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! A great way to repurpose a tray, and it's so easy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Sometimes you just have to cancel dinner :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! Cute ideas too - love your fonts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love love love love love this idea!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an easy great idea! I espove the canceled dinner note! :) I am going to make one just so I can leave that message for my family! haha Looks great Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about- I especailly love the cancelled dinner note! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out so well! Love your 'dinner cancelled' message... how did that go over? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the magnet spice tray idea! Super classy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this idea! Your message about dinner being cancelled with the takeout menu had me smiling...not that I could relate or anything...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this Carol! I can picture using it to label different types of cheese too! (Although I'd imagine that you'd need a layer in between the food and the paint!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You just gave me a good dose of inspiration and motivation! I have eight chargers in my basement that need some chalkboard paint! They would look great with a tray like this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! Is that a little sushi magnet on the take out menu? Perfect! I'll have a dynamite roll please.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the combination of the black chalkboard paint with the silver. It's the most elegant chalkboard I've ever seen! :-) Hope you had a great Thanksgiving :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this, what a great way to tell the family....make dinner reservations!! I would serve cocktails on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so so clever Miss Crafty! For a start this tray is awesome, like something out of the Titanic and love it with the casual touch of a blackboard!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great!! Love the ball trim on the tray, makes it so fun with the chalkboard paint (and moustache...obvi)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fantastic idea. I see trays like that at the thrift shop, love them, but I always draw a blank on what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahh my Granny would die if I did that to her tray, but I so want to!

    ReplyDelete
  20. First, I love the unique tray and it's the perfect whimsical adddition! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your tray makeover! The trim on the tray is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs