UA-22135472-1

Thursday, November 1, 2012

DIY / Simple Sewing - Make a Pillowcase

Why on earth would you make a pillowcase you're probably saying?  There are trillions to be had in the stores already made.  Welllll, on a recent trip to the fabric store with my daughter she spied some fabric that made her heart stop.  It's the same fabric that is used for girl's hoodies and the store we buy her clothes from calls it Minky Dimples.  Suddenly, I was committed to making a pillowcase.


1.  Measure your pillow width and length.  I cut my fabric the exact length of the pillow.  Cut 2 pieces exactly the same size.

I know this looks like a square but that's just my awesome photography skills making that happen.

2.  I used a contrasting fabric for the band to coordinate with the headboard I made for her earlier this year.  Cut one long length for back and front and add 1/2" seam allowance on both raw edges.  Cut a 6" width, fold in half and iron in place.

3.  Place right sides of fabric together and attach the banding fabric to the pillow fabric.

4.  If you want to add ribbon, do it now before all the sides get stitched.  Just lay the ribbon on the right side of the pillow and sew.

5.  Using your 1/2" seam allowance place right sides of fabric together and stitch all the sides closed (except the one side that the pillow goes in:)  And that is how you make a pillowcase my friends.

14 comments:

  1. these are so cute! i keep saying i need to make some for my bed..... one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is cute. That minky fabric is hard to work with too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! Love the floral fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why your daughter chose this fabric to have, it's so soft! The pillowcase turned out really nice. The ribbon detailing is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Minky Dimples! That's fun to say! Very cute project...I love the rick rack detailing too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done! And I still love that bird/floral fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's the prettiest darned pillowcase I've seen in a long time!!! Love it. You should start your own bedding line :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...and because it might be the sweetest pillow case I have ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that your daughter's keen eye spotted the fabric! And, Mom, the rest they say is history - how can you not sew a pillow case after that? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun and cheery combination of color, pattern, texture and trim. Great job Mom. I still have the pillowcase my grandmother made for me and I bet your daughter will save this one too. Love the new blog header too Carol. Have a great weekend. Robin

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty! You make it look so easy too. Your daughter has great taste already! You are a good Mom to make the pillows for her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that is absolutely pretty and adorable all wrapped in one. As you already know, I can't sew for the life of me so I love to see what you create. So cheerful and pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs