UA-22135472-1

Monday, November 5, 2012

My Weekend Sales and Scores

Our house is starting to look a bit empty these days.  After recently selling our living room chairs and bar stools, this weekend I sold our dining chairs and with no backup plan it looks like we're getting ready to move.  We want to invest in some antique or mid-century furniture so I spent hours scouring Craigslist and my other favourite sources.  We went to a local antique shop and found this lovely set of chairs.  What we weren't expecting is that the chairs come with the table.

It looks like a teeny little table but with all the leaves inserted it's going to be 7' long and similar shape to this one.  It's a Danish-made 1960's Moller set and it's in fantastic shape.  My only concern is that I know teak can stain quite easily and I've never been a fan of worrying about that kind of thing.  Do any of you own a teak dining table and maybe have some advice in this department?

I had an hour to spare on Saturday so I hit a couple of my favourite thrift stores.  I have absolutely no place to put this but I still think I'm going back for it (please be there!).  It's down filled and super solid.  It would, of course be recovered but it's an amazing steal at $50.  It is so completely comfortable and could be used in my husband's office for his daily naps:)  I'm guessing by the fabric that it's another relic from the 60's.  I love that they made furniture so diminutive because it's so comfortable for those of us who are vertically challenged.


This is exactly the fabric I would cover it in.

Now I just have to figure out how to get this bad boy home!!

16 comments:

  1. The monster sofa is a great find! I love the lines of it and it will look amazing covered in the midnight blue velvet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have teak chairs and are soon getting a table to go with it.. I hope I don't have to worry about staining! Never thought of that:( Those chairs are amazing! As is the shape of that sofa. Lucky:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to take a nap on that couch right now. Okay, after you refinish it. Who knows what's living in there. That's what freaks me out about used couches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow now that's some loot! I love the dining room set, I can't help you with any info
    on caring for teak, the couch is going to look fabulous when its completed, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sofa is a great find and will look amazing reupholstered in blue velvet! I'm pinning that living room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, uh-huh, this table and chairs makes my heart skip a beat! I'm going to get back to you with the name of a product I think you can use on teak to protect it - it's a natural product...

    What great lines on that sofa, and in your fabric of choice, incredible! Once reupholstered, it will look like a Tommi Parzinger piece! When you've finished 'moving', wanna come 'move' my place, too? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll miss your living room chairs - they were fun:-)
    Great finds Carol - can't wait to see some pics of your new place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow - amazing finds!! We have a Moller set but it is rosewood, and it definitely shows water stains. I thought teak was more durable? And that sofa is AMAZING and would look killer in blue velvet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome find Carol. Totally jealous of the chair bonanza with your table. The only way to stop stains on teak is to not let water sit on it. Place mats everyone. Most teak tables have an oil finish.(Watco Rejuvinating Oil works great on those white stains.) The natural oils in teak cause poor finish adhesion so anything that seals the wood will eventually flake off or cause the finish to become gummy. That said, the table I refinished this summer received an oil/varnish finish. Just enough varnish to help repel water but not enough to seal the wood entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That blue velvet is gorgeous for your $50 couch! I hope you can make it happen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My parents have teak furniture all over their house. They use a really good quality teak oil to finish and seal their furniture!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sofa has huge potential! Love your choice of a velvet blue, it will look gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOh very British with that yummy blue fabric - I love it. I only have teak balls ( they are filled with green resin and are decorative) but I bought one cheap for outside and the garden guy said they would grey but could last anything. Smashing dining set by the way. And loving your new masthead, I want to live in that glass window house on the left.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy crap!!!!! That IS our sofa!!!!! Same length, shape and fabric as the one I grew up with. Holy smokes ...... you've got me wondering if it's ours or not.... If it was I see it's got a good home now :-) Love the fabric that you want to recover it with. As for the teak furniture ..... if your worried about rings left behind after a wet glass sits on the table top without a coaster, all you have to do is take a hair dryer and hold it over the white ring, keep the hairdryer moving back and forth so you don't scorch the table but eventually, the ring disappears. It worked on my table.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope that sofa is still there, and I think it will look amazing in that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We recently did the same thing. Stained our kitchen table a different color and realized the chairs then looked hideous. Now on the hunt for new, beautiful and inexpensive chairs (apparently that combo is hard to find ;)) I love what you have in mind!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs