UA-22135472-1

Monday, November 19, 2012

Painted Bentwood Rocker


I'm on a roll with the acquisition of Bentwood pieces.  After my recent score of dining chairs I stumbled across a Bentwood rocker.  Since I've been in the market for a reading chair for my daughter's room I couldn't resist dragging this girl home.

A little paint and wax and it's the perfect addition for Young Miss.

I forgot to take a photo of the before but found this photo on the web and mine was exactly the same.  Love the curves and the caning.  Do NOT love the boring brown wood.


I used my trusty Frog Tape to tape off the caning that met the parts I would paint.  If you use a good tape it will seal the edge that you want to protect and I don't think you need to bother covering off the rest of the seat.  Unless you're a sloppy painter and then you might want to go the extra mile.  


Here's my roundup of the goodies involved in the transformation.  I had some leftover chalk paint but it was a bit too dark for this project so I added some white paint.  Have you ever wondered if you could lighten your own chalk paint?  Well, now you know...yes, you can.  I l-l-love the finish that wax gives but I will say that it's a pain to wax something curvy like this chair.

Don't you just love how fun and girly it looks now?


This is a sponsored post brought to you by FrogTape. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

18 comments:

  1. how do you design mama's do it? just whip up DIY projects like they're no big deal... it looks stellar! especially paired with those steal worthy nesting tables. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I see those chairs all of the time and always thought they may look cute painted. You proved me right. I love when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks fabulous! love the color and love the green pillow with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to own a bentwood rocker, and now I wish I still had it! Great makeover, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the color against the cane! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks wonderful Carol! The colour is perfect, especially against the caning.
    BTW... minwax is pretty smelly. Think about trying FAT Wax next time ;-) Goes on like butter, buffs nicely and all with a subtle aroma of lavender. If you're coming to the Xmas gathering, I'll give you a small jar to try... and I'll give you a small jar of FAT Paint too!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great modern update Carol ... in the fresh shade you used the curvilinear shape can be seen and appreciated (in the brown on brown form those curves are so lost in the granny / ho hum of it all). Your sweet little miss might be able to use that chair from now until she is a "former miss" aka a Mrs. :) And those bentwood rockers are so comfy and now equally pretty as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fantastic. I missed a few weeks, your new header is fantastic. Totally you! I don't work with paste wax much, but after seeing this, I should.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, love the chair! It looks so modern & hip in blue :-) And I agree with you about the wax - it gives such a nice, smooth, rich finish. I'm sure your daughter will enjoy rockin' in her new cool chair :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It seems you've moved to the land of fabulous vintage shops!!! You are on a roll. :) Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving that color! It looks like a silvery lavender on my monitor. Frog tape is the best! Once I tried it I have never looked back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Normally those bentwood rockers kinda bum me out for some reason, but this one is so cheerful and young! I love the color you picked!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE. IT.
    I may just have to paint mine now :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs