UA-22135472-1

Sunday, December 30, 2012

DIY Glitter Coasters

I'm making the transition from Christmas to New Year's Eve.  The entire holiday season is about food and drink but New Year's is really about cocktails and glitter.  We're heading to friends' house for an evening of dinner, drinks and tons of laughter.  Although our hostess is not a glitter kind of girl (gasp!) I do think she'll love this diy hostess gift regardless.





What you need:
12' x 12' Cork squares
Xacto Knife
Cutting Mat
Ruler
Frog Tape Painter's Tape (Multi Surface & Delicate Surface)
Multi Surface Acrylic Paint - 2 colours or shades including 1 glitter
Small Artist's Paint Brush
Spray Varnish


How To:
- Use a cutting mat, ruler and an x-acto knife to cut the cork into squares that measure 4"x4"
- Tape your coasters according to the design you are creating.
- Paint and let dry.  Paint a second coat and let dry overnight.
- Give each coaster a coat of spray varnish to protect the paint and glitter from coming off when it becomes exposed to condensation from a glass.



Tip: If you want to create this coaster paint a coat of solid colour and then you will need to tape off the areas for glitter paint using Frog Tape Delicate Surface tape.  The regular won't stick to the painted cork.


Tip 2: I think it could be even better to add a square of dark blue or black felt to the bottom.  I didn't have any but may add it in the future.


So what are you plans for New Year's Eve?  More importantly, what DIY projects have you completed for the night?  I wish you all a wonderful New Year's Eve.  I look forward to many more blog friendships and adventures in 2013.

This is a sponsored post brought to you by FrogTape. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

7 comments:

  1. love it! what a great little gift. We're staying home this year with the kids (but making a fun party of it). ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these! Have fun tonight and I am looking forward to a fabulous year seeing what you get up to. So glad we met!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are you friends with someone that doesn't like glitter? The horror. I kid.

    Love the coasters!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those coasters! It's funny, I was just at Hobby Lobby and saw a roll of cork and thought, I wonder if I can do something with that, but then passed it up. Now I have to go back. Happy New Year to you too! I was planning a New Year's Day party, but my son is sick. Oh well, I'll just relax instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A perfect hostess gift! Happy New Year my friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. She has to love 'em - they're beautiful. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs