This week when I say TGIF, I REALLY, REALLY mean it. It's been one of those weeks where everything I touch falls apart. I'm telling you this because I promised a reveal on a Mom Cave project but that isn't happening this week. Next week for sure. Promise, promise, promise.
In the meantime, I've been looking for a time when I could share this awesome natural drain cleaner with you. Like everyone, I'm looking for ways to reduce the chemicals we use in our home. I found this on pinterest and thought I'd give it a try. Let me just say that I was beyond amazed at how well this works.
If you have kids you've no doubt made an erupting volcano at some point with them. This is exactly the same thing. My kids both on separate occasions saw me holding these ingredients and asked if I was making a volcano. "Yes children, that's what I do when you're not around!!".
Here are the simple directions that I found at Tidy Mom blog. Check out all her other helpful tips here.
My 2 cents worth - I found that the baking soda needed a little coaxing to go down the drain, particularly if the drain is wet so I bring a handy chopstick along to push it in.
Unclog a drain with Baking Soda and Vinegar
- Pour 3/4-1 cup of baking soda in the drain.
- Pour 1/2 cup vinegar in the drain and immediately cover the drain (I use a plug or set a plate over it – you want to keep everything inside the drain)
- Leave everything to sit and work for about 30 mins (don’t use the sink during this time)
- After 30 mins, remove the cover and let hot water run thru the pipes for about 2-3 mins.
- for really tough clogs you may need to repeat – but I find if I do this on a regular basis (about once a month) it keeps my drains clear and fresh with out any problems.
Likewise, I do something very similar to keep drains fresh. Especially good for seldom used drains.
Freshen Drains with Baking Soda and Vinegar
- Mix 1/2 cup baking soda with 1/4 cup table salt and pour down drain
- Follow by pouring 1 cup of heated vinegar down the drain (it will foam and bubble)
- Let it sit for 15 minutes
- After 15 minutes run hot tap water for 30-60 seconds.