UA-22135472-1

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Make Your Own Chalk Paint

If you are a diy'er then you likely know all about chalk paint, particularly the famous Annie Sloan brand.  If you don't like to do-it-yourself you may be thinking I'm referring to chalkBOARD paint but no, I am not.

Chalk paint can be applied to furniture and it is not necessary to sand or prime beforehand.  It's a bit thicker than conventional paint and dries with a chalky finish that will usually require you to wax.  It's a dream to work with but it's pricey and often hard to find.  When you do find it you may not be happy with the particular colour selection.  After seeing a few folks on Pinterest sharing their homemade versions I thought I'd try my hand at making a batch for myself.


 

Here's what you need and what it cost


1.  I used leftover paint - free
2.  Unsanded Grout - $9.99 (you might want to buy a small bag:)
3.  Stir stick, container and water - free

Total cost - $9.99 versus 1 litre of Annie Sloan at $49.95

Here's how to do it

1.  You will need 2 tbsp grout for every cup of paint.  Mix the grout and water until they are blended together and there's no lumps.
2.  Add the paint and stir.  Many of the recipes I saw suggested using a food blender but I didn't and it wasn't lumpy at all.

MY TIPS

- Make sure the container you use has a good seal.
- If you don't use it all at one time you will need to add water when you come back to                         it.  Don't make it too thin.  It should be like a thin pancake batter.

MY CONCLUSION

I have used Annie Sloan in the past and I've always liked it but at $50 a pop I'm definitely sticking with my homemade version.  It's hard to detect any change at all so I'm going to say it's worth the tiny effort to make some.

I removed the seat pads and discovered that the caning on the seats is perfect BUT with a teenage boy in the house I think it's best for these guys to stay covered up at the moment.
1 down, 5 to go!

25 comments:

  1. the chair looks amazing! you can do it!!! they are all going to look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must pass this link onto a friend who buys a ton of AS chalk paint. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the chair turned out really well! It just pops now, and looks so fresh. Who knew making your own chalk paint was that simple - great way to use up the dregs, and I'm all over getting rid of the big paint cans! Thanks for sharing your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good Carol! I made my own twice now, once with unsanded grout and once with plaster of paris, I prefer the plaster of paris version but both worked well. I have to drive over an hour to get some ASCP so that plus the cost of paint is too much for me as well. DIY works for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent job Carol! Love how fresh they look. I think your idea to protect the caning is very smart having had a teenage boy myself!!!!!
    We have used the homemade version with great success ourselves, I agree it is a subtle difference from the results of the original and I will make my own again for any future projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you painted it white. What a beautiful chair, lucky she and her friends found you. I would like to see your version of chalk paint in person. Sounds pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've made my own chalk paint and I've used Annie Sloan paint, and I would say that the homemade version is pretty comparable. I used plaster of paris instead of grout for mine, and it mixed into the paint really well. As you said, the two advantages to making your own paint is that it's a lot cheaper and you can mix any colour that you want :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's that easy?! I had no idea. Can you still skip sanding and priming with the homemade stuff?

    Kelly @ View Along the Way
    www.viewalongtheway.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yours came out great. I have read that people have made their own. Of course, because I am sick and twisted, have all of these things already in my garage. So, I should try this. I'll pin it so I won't have to look hard for it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had NO idea yuo could do this! How cool:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to know this works. I'm with Kelly, can you skip the whole priming and sanding with the homemade goods?

    ReplyDelete
  12. GREAT TIP! I always wanted to try the chalk paint-but willing to pay the price. Do you still have to apply wax? Your chair looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sshhh...don't tell Victoria! I heard you can make your own. I am still not sure I would like the "feel" of the paint though. I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your chair looks great! I made my own using Plaster of Paris since no one sells Annie Sloan here in Dubai. I was surprised at how well it worked and will definitely be using my homemade version from now on. LOVE that no priming and sanding is required - great for us lazy painters :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So clever. I'm definitely going to give this a whirl. Like AS, but price and color limitation are factors (P.S. button is up and it looks great.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The chair looks great Carol! So fresh and new. I have never tried making the chalk paint but you make it look so easy, I might give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They look so elegant and stylish now - but still with the curvy personality!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic! What a brilliant idea, I would never have thought of that! And those chairs are AMAZING. I love them, especially white!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How cool! I've never tried using chalk paint. Can't find it anywhere. But I have leftover paint, and I have leftover grout...I feel a project brewing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. awesome! It's true haven't seen you put much painting up here in a while, but really sweet!
    painters edmonton

    painting contractor edmonton

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your chair. I used plaster of paris to make chalk paint and I think it turned out pretty good. Haven't used AS yet buy am really curious as to how it compares.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amazing this is basically the same recipe that I use for homemade Jesso to seal up canvas before I paint .... good to know thanks I will be trying this ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  23. My boss just tossed out an entire bedroom set of Drexel French Provincial furniture. He says I can have it, but it needs a pickup. What do you suggest to replace the Annie Sloan waxes?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs