UA-22135472-1

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Painted Mugs - A very quick gift

These really are a quick gift, really.  I made these on Christmas Eve for my family.  Procrastinate?  Who me?

My family used about 100 glasses and mugs through the course of a day because they can't remember which one they used and so it's a constant dishwasher full of glasses.  I thought if I made some personalized mugs they might be able to use, rinse and reuse throughout the day.  Some days it works and other days it doesn't but we're getting better.


Start with a plain mug.

I'm using a glass marker.  I drew initials on one side and a cute bear on the other.  I saw the image of the bear online a few months ago but don't remember where.  If you want it to look a bit more polished you can buy stencils that will stick to the mug while you colour it in.  No stencil for this girl. This is how I roll.

Once you're finished your design you will need to let the mug sit for 4 hours to dry.  Then pop it into a non-preheated oven for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.


And your gift is ready to roll.  How easy is that?



 If you need a really fast Valentine's Day gift you could fill these with cinnamon hearts and call it a day.

12 comments:

  1. Love this! That bear is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Perfect last minute gift! But I won't be giving away my cinnamon hearts...its the only thing about Valentine's day that I enjoy so I'm keeping those!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE these! I love the quirkiness of your designs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like such a fun project. I bet I'd get carried away and suddenly have 30 mugs and not 30 people to give them to. :)

    Kelly @ View Along the Way
    www.viewalongtheway.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this project!! They turned out so good, Carol. It's so true with the plain mug, I'm totally guilty of going through multiple glasses cause I can't remember which one is mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have some plates just waiting for the treatment! The procrastinater in me can't seem to commit to the personalized touch from that of my hand ;-) We'll see how many more moves they make 'cause I just know I'm gonna do them one day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, so cute! What a great gift too - thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a good idea, Carol! We have stone coasters that I've monogrammed sitting beside our kitchen sink. That way, we can each keep reusing the same glass throughout the day.
    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
    ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute! Love the freehand look! I've also heard you can do this with Sharpie markers, but who knows how long that method would last. This looks much more reliable and durable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea! I'm going to look for this pen.

    Thank-y so much-y!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs