UA-22135472-1

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Silver Leaf Night Stand

Remember that Hollywood Regency bedroom reno that I told you about and how I was going to transform my bedroom into a glam boudoir?  Yeah, well about that.  Progress has been a teensy bit slowed by a course that I'm taking but I'm determined to put a dent in the room (not literally although there have been moments).  I did manage to tackle transforming a nightstand for my husband so I feel that this forward momentum could lead to other big things happening soon!  Stick with me, people.





SUPPLIES

Frog Tape (I ended up using the yellow which is for delicate surfaces)
Paint (I used Behr paint & primer), brush
Silver leaf, adhesive and foam brush
Polycrylic - not shown 

I started with this old, worn piece which my son lovingly adorned with stickers.  I removed the stickers, wiped it down and admitted to myself that I was lazy because I wasn't going to sand it.  I can live with that.


I painted the entire piece but figure you know what painting looks like so no photos for that one.  After the piece was dry to the touch I used Frog Tape for sensitive surfaces so I wouldn't pull off pieces of paint when I removed the tape.  I taped off small areas to give a silver leaf striping on the front.

Apply the leaf adhesive and let it become tacky.  Apply the silver leaf on top, pat down with  a soft brush and remove the tape.  If you need a more thorough walk-through of how to gold or silver leaf something, check out this post where I gold leafed a canvas

I used the same technique to apply the silver leaf to the top.


Once the leaf is completely dry and you have successfully spread silver dust across your entire room you are ready to give it a topcoat of poly.  One coat is not enough to protect the silver leaf from scratching.  I kind of like the look of an "antiqued" top so I left it at one coat but definitely do another if you like a more perfect look.

This is all you're going to get to see of the room right now but I have fabric for curtains so hopefully the sewing fairies will make an appearance and get those guys done and hung.  Otherwise, I'll get to them in the next week or two.

That's it for this week so I wish you all a Happy Easter.

This is a sponsored post brought to you by FrogTape. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.


12 comments:

  1. Ta-da! Look at you go girlfriend!! Love the look, and sanding's overrated anyway. I might just have a little insider on that ditty. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous! love the idea of just leafing stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have thought of using silver leaf to create stripes, great idea. It would be fun to give this treatment to an entire piece like a clean lined dressers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's going to be unanimous on your brilliance for going with "leafing" stripes. Laughed and cried when you said "after successfully spreading silver dust over the entire room" cause I've done exactly that when I used leafing once, oh what a mess. Eager to see those glam curtains! BTW, loved the pic of you and your daughter on the pier during your spring vacation, for some reason I couldn't leave a comment on that post, but it was such a sweet pic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It certainly is a project but I like where you're going with this and it's all about the process. Just keep in mind how beautiful all of your hard work will look like. You can go to sleep looking at all of the glam. Have a wonderful long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmm ive never seen the leaf stuff before...now i want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute! It definitely needed a little something special and stripe is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's always the way it goes! I've had stuff for my powder room makeover for quite some time and it's all still sitting in my basement. Hoping to get to it in April. Good luck with your bedroom. Love the silver!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Leafing is messy but so worth the final result. Hope you're having a lovely Easter! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. That turned out gorgeous - nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure turned out great! I really like the antiqued look of the top. I'm looking forward to seeing more glamorous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs