UA-22135472-1

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Swan Alert

I keep seeing swans showing up more and more in design lately and I have a feeling that my beloved owl is about to be dethroned by these giant white monsters.  I know this might sound a little harsh but a few years ago I lived in a charming tourist town with a river that ran through the centre of town.  In that river lived many swans and although I started out being enchanted and charmed by them, I soon came to understand that they are not cute and cuddly but rather mean and vicious.  Attacks on dogs (including my own who thought this was a big feathery playmate), hissing at children and spitting at people...seriously!  I am quite confident that I won't be donning any giant pieces of swan artwork any time soon but here's a peek at what I've been seeing showing up in interiors.




This one may actually tempt me...via


This is a photo of the annual "Parade of the Swans" from Stratford, Ontario (my former home).  Each spring the town and loads of tourists would show up to watch the swans being paraded from their indoor winter facility back to the river.  It's quite the ceremony with huge crowds and pipers playing their bagpipes as the swans waddle back to their summertime water.  I will admit they are quite cute on this march.  It's only when they're comfortably ensconced in their river home that they unleash their nasty.

So what do you think?  Are you a swan lover or a swan hater?


21 comments:

  1. I witnessed a swan attack on a man when I was with my children 20 years ago. He was in a canoe on the creek. I was horrified. That neck is like a powerful arm and it "punched" him in the ribs a dozen times. My husband was also attacked in his kayak by a swan so I say well clear. Beautiful to look at but they need to be left alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too had a scary swan experience so personally I wouldn't, but they are beautiful creatures-atrocious manners, but beautiful, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swans are so gracious but I'm not a fan of using it in any decor. Thanks for sharing the artwork very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swans hey? Well, I guess like them better than owls. Maybe I'll just wait and see what's next...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I had no idea swans were so vicious! I still think they're graceful, beautiful birds, though. I do have a bird motif in my decor, but they're non-specific, little birds. I'll probably just stick with that.
    Hope you're having a great Monday, Carol!
    ~ Wendi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'll continue to stick with owls. Or the mighty orange fox - he can stay for a while too. Swans just poop everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swans are evil. They freak me out. They are at the top of my bird phobia list. Right after geese. Luckily the geese decor thing happened in the 80s...wait, the 80s are coming back. Noooooo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not to sure about this one, although I do love that wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Swans are gorgeous but not they scare me! I do agree with Shauna though, I love the wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't say I love or hate them. I think they're beautiful to look at but haven't had an close-up encounter with them.. Never knew they were aggressive!

    www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. totally missed this trend! and for the record, I find them a bit too "snappy" for my liking as well! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've got one over the guest bed! Kind of random, but I used to work in photography, and a dear friend took it and printed it and gifted it about a decade ago, so I love it. Ahead of the trend for once!

    Heather
    loveyourspace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Noooooooo!!!! I haven't had enough time with owl yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! I know which Ampersand Animal I'll be creating next then!!! :) Thanks for the heads up on the new trend Carol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always thought they're quite pretty floating along a river, but then I've never had one hiss at me so I'm sure my opinion would completely change if that were to happen. I do know that I'm not a fan of Canada Geese and all their pooping everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good observation! I haven't seen swans lately but I think you're into something. I remember this picture that my grandma had in her guest bedroom: it was a painting of a ballerina all nestled down looking like a swan. It was a beautiful picture. I think my aunt has it and doesn't hang it up so I might scoop it. Not sure where I would put it but it is beautiful.... And apparently in style :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Swans? Really? Although, I am drawn to the black swan painting. What happened to foxes? Is that trend over?...or maybe it was just a fleeting winter thing. Swans are more summery...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hadn't noticed the swan thing yet! I just read a news story about a kayaker who was attacked by swans on the water and drowned! I think your fear of them is totally fair!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, when you said that about the tourist town with the river and swans running through the middle I was totally going to guess that you lived in Stratford and be all clever, but then you gave it away. I lived in Michigan for years and went up to see multiple plays for at least 5 seasons. That is some top-notch theatre, and I still miss Balzac's coffee house. I even posted about one of the actors I ran into there (Tom McCamus) on my blog once.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh dear! My grandmother always told us to "get away from those birds" - and she said this no matter how harmless the bird was - I'd say, it's great advice!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs