UA-22135472-1

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Gold Gilded Table - DIY

This might be one of the easiest diy projects you see this month BUT the impact from this little change is incredible. I took a very perfunctory Ikea side table and turned it into an eye catching piece in the room. I almost donated the table but I love it's airiness. It looks way more Hollywood than your typical Ikea piece after a simple diy.



Here's the before


Here's my simple toolkit.
You may be wondering why I chose to paint the table with the gilding as opposed to spray painting. I agree that it would have taken less time but I can't find a gold spray paint that I love as much as this liquid gilding. It's a Martha Stewart product and I think we can all agree that Martha sure knows what she's doing in the world of diy and home decor. The finish is matte and it looks like it was always gold as opposed to an obvious diy. I have trouble with the green hue that I keep ending up with in spray paint. 

Before you paint you want to tape off any parts that you don't want to be gold. There was not a lot left untouched but I figured gold wheels might be taking my gold obsession just a bit too far.

And here's the spectacular after. The spectacular part is that it looks like I bought it from a higher end store and it really looks like it's always been gold. So glad I procrastinated on that trip to the thrift store to drop this off.

So I'm dying to know if you have a gold spray paint that you'd recommend. Leave me a comment below if you do. I'll be ever grateful although my husband may send you a nasty email:)
This is a sponsored post brought to you by FrogTape. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience

17 comments:

  1. I love it! I'd like to start incorporating more gold into my home, but I have so much silver right now. What do you think about having a bit of both?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a gold spray paint to recommend. I've tried a couple but they are always lackluster and obviously diy, like you said. That elusive perfect metallic finish has to be out there somewhere...

    The table looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Martha Stewart gilding...it's my fave....i think i could seriously bathe in the stuff! I only wish it came off of fingers and paint brushes easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That side table looks gorgeous in gold, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What a transformation! It's amazing how the gold makes it look so much for elegant and expensive! Great job and great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you have to pick a gold spray paint, I've found Rustoleum's Specialty Metallic is the best - better than Krylon or Valspar. I did a little metal table with Rustoleum gold and it turned out pretty good - that said, I NEED to try Martha's gilded gold - I couldn't find it when I was out hunting for it. Where did you get yours?? Love, LOVE your table, and the wheels look great BTW! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love love love this! That table certainly looks like a movie star now :-) I want to use gilding for a few frames.... I saw them at Indigo/Chapters. They are gold gilded and have a linen mat. I figured, I can copy this expensive frame and buy one at Ikea. ... do my magic .... ya know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow what a difference! It looks so glam now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great -- just found your blog. I just did a DIY and I LOVE the spary I chose its called Montana Gold acrylic. you can check out my blog for more info if you'd like www.stephaniekraussdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the transformation! it does look so high end. Great job! I like to use Rustoleum's gold metallic spray paint. I love the way this turned out, though!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a fantastic update! I still have some of the gold gild (love it too), and it's good to know it covers metal. Oh the possibilities...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been holding off "gilding" anything for fear that I will want to do it to everything. This diy just confirms that though! It looks mah-velous, dahling!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ikea pieces are perfect for glamming up and i love the way this turned out! I'm a big fan of Rub N Buff and would use that instead of spray paint for something like this..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, I am glad to read your topic and could participate comment here
    I keep visiting your blog every day to find out the latest topics that you share here
    Glad to be here, salute Vimax Vimax Canada Vimax Asli

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Design Add-On's by Designer Blogs